Bullets for accuracy

ewallace

I am using the 338 300g SMK. What tools do you guys use to select bullets for accuracy. Do you weigh each bullet or use a concentricity gage.
confused.gif

Crow Mag,
For all out accuracy/consistantcy I spin them for out-of-round, weight, and ogive length. But this is looking for those last few 10th of an inch in group size also.
For a hunting gun, I would sort the ogive length variations to get rid of some up/down in your groups and have at it. These 300gr bullets are good enough to pick right out of the box, sort by ogive (about .007/.009" variation for all the Lot#s I've used) and have at it.
In competition circles the rule of thumb is if your not shooting 6" or less (10 shots) groups in good conditions at 1000yds, keep working on your rifle, load, and seating depth. All the "little stuff" isn't going to make a 8" gun into a 4" or 5". But when your putting 6" groups down there (in good conditions.. this can't be stressed enough) then you can start tweaking all the little stuff to try and make it get smaller and maintain consistantcy.

I used the Davidson Seating Depth checker to sort my bullet by ogive length using a good set of calipers. Doesn't take much time and is really easy to do. You could do a large batch some night just watching a TV show.

That would be my suggestion anyway. This should help with some up/down variation.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.