Accuracy and proper bullet expansion for 7mm 150 grain hunting bullets

wildcat westerner

Hello, I have finished a drop test suggested by Leupold because the CDS turret sent me does not match the long range ballistics of a rifle I own. I built a very tall modular target and was astounded at the bullet drop from 400 to 500 yards. I also found that the bullet that works like lightning for closer range shots to 350 yards, just starts to shoot mediocre at long range in this single shot, bolt action, heavy barreled rifle.

I would welcome your insights as to a specific 150 grain hunting bullet in 7mm that roughly maintains its BC while in flight, and works well in expanding at both close and far distances and is capable of near target accuracy. Please do not overwhelm me with data on the heavier ballsitically superior 7mm hunting bullets that weigh up to 30 grains heavier than the bullet weight I wish to shoot.
Thank you for your attention in this matter.

GS

A Accubond or inter bond bullet should work well for those ranges. All bullets will maintain their bc for that short of flight. They key is having the correct one. Did u use a g7 bc?
From reading ur post it sounds like it's either dropping too much or inconsistently. I would think this is a velocity problem. You could have ur velocity data wrong or your load is very inconsistent with its velocity and you're seeing vertical spread...or a vertical spread could also mean a nonfree floated barrel. Hard to say without more info. What bullet are u currently using?

I have been using the Swift Scirroco bullet in 150 grains with RL22 since probably 2002. It's always shot well out to 300, staying close to 1moa depending on the shooter and how dirty my barrel gets. I've killed elk out to 550 with good expansion and also at 100 yards with the bullet hitting neck bone and staying together rather well.

My only complaint about the bullet is it seems to copper my barrel rather fast. It's bc is 515 hours. Good luck!

the 150 nosler ablr works pretty good on jugs at 2850 fps, 1in9 twist using .575 g1 , cleaned 4 water filled milk jugs found in the fifth at 20 yards weighed 70 grains, same thing at 380 yards except it weighed 100 grains

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.