Bullets "cold welding" to cases

Cold welding of projectile to case neck does really happen. If I reload for clients for long range match or hunt I ultrasonic clean with a mild degreaser 109% all my brass for uniformity. Remove all prepping lube, dry lubes, wax sizing, brass chips, from handling and whatever else is picked up along the way - even from dirty loading trays (which I clean routinely in the dish washer (shhh don't tell wife). Then the best method I have found is to steel wool burnish the inside of the neck with a high speed drill 2000 RPM OR MORE, using a wire or nylon brush where you just periodically add a few small strands of steel wool just to burning the dry ultra clean neck. You will find out with each load just how much burnishing is required. I use the isolated ball sizing mandrel that tells me it glides smooth as butter. This interrupted surface now will let the bullet glide into its seat with very little resistance. And for some strange reason doesn't cold weld afterwards. So the bonus doing it this way is no lube needed, uniform neck tension and no welding. I prefer .002" neck tension, rarely less than that .0015 just too hard to deliver a uniform 100 to 150 rounds for a match —- yet, .002" works fine. If I find neck tension difficult to maintain I've found that Annealing was needed, or last resort to use a graphite or mica dry neck lube. Only as the laser resort - I use the dip the bullet and turn, then tap to knock off excess. It works but it's messy.

I've seated bullets when case lube was still tacky in the necks, a cpl months later I decided I wanted to seat them at magazine length so I tried to push them into the case and they were welded and couldn't do it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.