Bullet Performance Testing - Chapter 1

royinidaho

This is an introduction to the project.

First I suggest that you go to: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/bullet-terminal-performance-test-want-31872/ then scroll to the bottm to where it says "Similar Posts" then read 'em all from the bottom up. The read will give you a pretty good foundation for deciding what's what. Mostly "not all wounds are the same".

This test was initiated by the availability of a target subject. A few $s was worth all the messing around gathering, soaking newspapers etc. Plus this subject had real flesh and bones, and big ones. Plus the plattes or plates on the shoulders were something to be considered. Ian, I believe it was, mentioned them but I had no previous experience with them.

These plates were well over an inch thick at the thickest point and were a real tough test for my field dressing knife.

The hanging width of the subject was 18" with maybe 3" of that being plate, which is nothing more than thick skin, really thick skin. Kind of like my wife's.;) Hey, ya gotta be a little thick skinned to put up with the stuff that goes on around here.

The scientifically designed penetration device was an old plastic small diameter kids arrow from many years ago's activities. It can be seen in some of the pics.

Orange stickers were used for target spot indicators then later replaced by flowers from something called a "woad" which seems to be plaguing the area this year.:rolleyes: The long stems were quite handy as can be seen in the video.

The subject test target was exactly 100 yds from the shooting bench. (Blink luck on this one.)

Things went really slowly. The routine was:

When the shooter was ready, not hot yet.

The spotter reported to the cameraman that the range was hot who then rolled the camera and moved to his safe zone.

When the cameraman radioed "send it", the spotter relayed the "send it" to the shooter who then went hot and sent it. We were feeling pretty professional.

"Cross" from this board arrived and was found to be pretty decent fellow. Kinda young but has plenty of hunting of experience. He's originally a Noth Idaho fella and stuck down here to feed the family.

Kudo's to him also for ensuring the Chrony was energized for the shot. I' seem to have problems with that.:rolleyes:

Also it can be seen that there were shots that completely missed the pig.:eek:

In both cases those shots were the ones that took out the chrono shade holder rods. First the left ones, secondly the right ones.

Someone forgot to consider that the permanent chono setting post was for a 2' wide target area at 200 yards which was just great for the porker's front shoulder at 100 yds. But moving forward on the shoulder and then to the rear hams some on for got to think a bit. "Cross" was humured at my reaction to it. However, I doubt that he'll ever lone me his chrony:rolleyes:

Lastly the the loads used were:

338 Win Mag shooting 225 gr Speer Spitzers @ very slightly under 3000 FPS.
338 RUM Shooting 225 Accubonds at around 2368 reduced velocity.
338 RUM Shooting 300 SMKs
25-06 Shooting 115 Berger VLDs at 3066

Here's a pic of the set up:

The-Setup.jpg

Last edited:
Yep.

Someone suggested that idea but it was for naught. That stuff wouldn't catch anything. It was good for showing how many pieces came out but wasn't for squat for catching anything.

Next time I'll use cardboard.

slack pleeze

Ok folks cut me some slack.

Ya gotta do the shootin'.
Do the buryin'
Photoshop the pic to get 'em postable
Edit the video to cut/splice the film to cut out any traceable frames.;)
Do some more shooting of the 338 RUM with full tilt loads by the grandson to ensure he capable of handling it. It turns out that moving the 225 Accubond from 2400 MV to over 3000 MV there isn't any increase in recoil.:confused:
Site in the AM with the new scope.
Get the grandsons out of several binds with the itty bitty ATV;)
Spend some time with a daughter and her 6mo twins.

I'll post all the stuff this evening. As I'm going to cut out of church early to take the grandson to meet his dad who has guard week end down in Poky.

Plus, you guys are just too impatient.:):)

I did get some great evidence though, though only a limited amount compared to what I expected. Hmmmm, I wonder if that comma is proper or if I should have used a semicolon or, if I should have started an new sentence. But it was fun sticking the two "thoughs" together.:rolleyes:

Good point Roy, we all can be self involved!

Where are those pictures again, I can't seem to find them :)
Maybe if I refresh the browser I'L see them, nope still not here :)

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.