Bullet experiment 100psp

Blancoalex

Rainy day bullet experiment using old Remington 6mm 100gr PSP bullets to use in 243Win 14 twist for bigger critters. Going by Berger's twist calculator I need a OAL of .822 for 14 twist 65F 1500elv 2950 fps. I cut the 100PSP to .830 oal and it now weighs 93grs. I was surprised by the small weight loss. I assume my BC has been reduced from .300 to GUESSING around 225. Which is close to a normal varmint bullet. Cutting down also gave the bullet a .200 meplat which should hopefully make it preform like old style round nose bullet. My goal is only for it to be for 200 yds and less. I remember Nosler used to have a 7mm 120bt flat nose that looked similar to this.

Anyone here ever try this and what was your results?
20211127_090503.jpg

Distantly related so I'll share while we wait for someone w/more related experience to chime in.

Buddy and I hunting gophers in Montana with .22 LR round nose ammo (because we were kids & it's what we had.) Hits didn't really create that "wow" factor & not nearly enough DRT results. We were discouraged.

So, we cut the round nose off 10 bullets making them flat-nose (and lighter) & tried them. Wow! Big difference. You could really hear those bullets hit with a 'smack' & all gophers hit were DRT. Needless to say, we cut the nose off the rest of the bullets & had a blast that summer.

Okay, curious to hear how your experiment goes. Have you sighted in yet? Are they stable/do they group ok from your 14 twist barrel?

Someone correct me if I'm off base. An old brain cell firing remembers similar experiments causing bore obstructions from jackets being left in the bore.

Someone correct me if I'm off base. An old brain cell firing remembers similar experiments causing bore obstructions from jackets being left in the bore.
IIRC, it occurred with reduced loads only.
Richard Lee did some weird and strange experimenting back in the day with reduced loads and altered bullets. I remember him talking about shooting stuff into his pool at his house.

Cheers.