building my weatherby

lsm62

Ok here it goes. Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted a Weatherby Mark V rifle. This stems from my grandfather's love of his 270 Weatherby mag which he hunts deer and elk with and his brothers 7mm magnum also built on the Mark V action. When I was about 14 or 15 I was given a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 300 win mag, while it was a beautiful rifle it was not a Mark V. Well I grew up and moved to Las Vegas where there is not a lot of hunting still I wanted a Mark V and decided to start on the road of Building one for a long range target shooter. I started by finding a cheap rifle on line and purchased it.
261ks5j.jpg

The first thing I did was to place an order with Hart Rifle Barrels to re-barrel the action. This put me on the 9 month waiting list. While I waited I began to modify the rest of the weapon starting with the stock. I purchased a Bell & Carlson fully adjustable stock and bedded the action.
qx5u9u.jpg

I also put a Versa-pod stud in the for-grip to utalize the Versa-pod system
2z66oie.jpg

The next step was to paint the stock to give it some shine.
20py4i1.jpg

Then I Patiently waited for the phone call from Hart to tell me they were ready. Soon the day came and I began to get anxious as I waited for my rifle to return. Just before Christmas it did.
70gjg8.jpg

Now all I needed was a detachable mag system and I would be ready to go. This became a problem as it seemed there where none on the market. Luckily I was given a low end milling machine for Christmas and started working on making my own.
rwnucz.jpg

Once finished a friend of mine convinced me that we should make the mag system available to other shooters that also would like a detachable magazine system. So we have.
ddoxm8.jpg

The mag that we are using is Wyatt's longest mag so the shooter can load to a COAL of 3.79in. This allows for shooters to lengthen out there cartridges to get closer to the lans. While for some calibers it does not give quite enough space it still provides a fast, easy and reliable reloading process. For more info click the link below.
Weatherby DBM Mark V - Sniper's Hide Forums
25hg7qq.jpg

29w36nm.jpg

Now it is finished and shooting it is a blast.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esVMNEmdC-Y]Detachable Mag Weatherby Mark V long action - YouTube[/ame]
I still get a lot of guff from my family as paper targets do not eat as well as elk but they all still admire the rifle.
33xvnkz.jpg

Lsm

ISM62, Great thread and pictures. Liked the video too. If you haven't done it, you should post on Weatherby Rifles Forum. The DBM rig is very business-like. Impressive work.

I'm surprised you didn't do your own barrel work.

Did you leave the rifle in .300 Win Mag? The magazine would handle .300 and .340 Wby, and Rem Ultra Mag factory length ammo easily. If the Wyatt box would feed the .378 Wby based cartridges, it could also handle factory length ammo in those calibers. Should feed the RUM ammo too.

A really fine project.

Good hunting, Tom

Thank you Tom. the rifle is chambered in 300 Weatherby for a little extra umph. I've been looking for a good Weatherby forum, thanks to you I now have one.

Thanks lsm

Your DBM and rifle are already being discussed on Weatherby Rifles on the Gunsmithing Board.

You're correct, it is an excellent forum with real good members and a lot of info on Weatherby firearms.

Tom

I must say this rifle is a shooter. He is the real deal. This rifle will shoot 208gr Amaxes at 3060fps with better than .5 Moa. The mag system works flawlessly. The only problem is that the .300 weatherby was smoking my .300 win mag in a remmy 700. But I still got him on price per round and maybe if I switch to retumbo I can match the speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.