Budget .223 varmint ammo?

I have seen @ uplandfreak shoot some killer groups from a rem 700 adl with the Fiocchi 50 grain v max. I have no experience with it but I've seen him do some great stuff.

Reload your own with bullet you made yourself? Shooting for 12 cents a round!

uDcTlVbl.jpg

UWzncOMl.jpg

Ap0lRy0l.jpg

Bullets made from 22lr brass are one of the most explosive bullets possible and are very impressive on sage rats!

Swage on!

BT

I've found the 55gr Hornady soft points shoot great. And at around 25 dollars for a box of 50 I don't even bother with reloading for my .223s

Those are beautiful boolits 6.5.. Haven't tried swaging... l am a caster tho, since the 70s... Have thought about trying to cast some 55gr 224s... With the new Powder Coating paints they have been getting rifle velocities near 3000fps

Thanks! They shoot great too. Should you ever wish to get into swaging jacketed bullets let me know.

Swage on!

BT

You just busted my bubble-- those 50ae rounds shot great in all my rifles and were a great price when on sale -- guess I'llhave yo look into the fiocchi 50s

Thanks 6.5, l may look into swaging... Not many know what 'RCBS' means.. Rock Chuck Bullet Swager.
Guy named Roger Huntington designed the press shortly after WWll to make 22cals for shooting. Roger, along with others like Joyce Hornady, Bruce Hodgdon, and Vernon Speer brought us the tools for our sport.. John Nosler too... We handloaders owe these men much.

Reload your own with bullet you made yourself? Shooting for 12 cents a round!

uDcTlVbl.jpg

UWzncOMl.jpg

Ap0lRy0l.jpg

Bullets made from 22lr brass are one of the most explosive bullets possible and are very impressive on sage rats!

Swage on!

BT
Those look nice, but man-- the time it takes to swage a core, swage the jacket, press the core into the jacket, then form the tip just totally outweigh other cheep options right now for me (and that doesnt inclue all the casting and staging equipment costs.

For reloading I buy the midsouth varmint nightmare 55 grain soft point bullets when they go on sale-- full cost is 9 cents each, but on sale I bought mine for 6 cents each. I keep my costs down to about 17 cents per round this way by using free range pick up brass for my plinking and varmint loads

The outback 55 grain is great, I shot two pigs with it last night out of a ruger American ranch. HSM blue bullets shot the exact same on paper, to the point it was interchangeable

I reload all my calibers except the 223. Hornady 55g Vmax (#8327) shoots 1/4" groups in my 22", 5 R bolt action barrel rifle. I bought 2 500 round cases about 2 years ago. Haven't got into the second case yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.