BROWNING

rgvt4

Why do I never see customs with browning actions. Are they not good? Is there no aftermarket parts? Just was wondering.

I have a custom on a Browning A-Bolt II action. Seems a lot of misconceptions out there on the web claiming the actions will break if the factory barrel isn't properly removed. Seems most smiths don't even touch them. Apparently Browning uses some sort of loc-tite type of substance on the factory barrel threads. The trick is to heat it up first to get the stuff malleable again, and then the barrel spins right off like any other action. Once you get the factory barrel off the action, rebarreling from then-on is just like any other rifle.

Aftermarket support is very thin, but there are stocks out there. EGW makes picatinny rail bases for them. Timney makes triggers for the X-Bolt, and several people make trigger spring kits for the A-Bolts.

Lack of parts and lack of experience with that action is the main reason, imo. It's a shame really, the Abolt is a smooth, accurate action.

I often wonder about the lack of after market parts. Brownings are accurate and well built... and the past few years they have been selling the schitt out of X-bolts. You would think somebody would get on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
I've been wondering this myself. They seem to compare well against other factory rifles in the same price range.

I have two X-bolts in .280 Rem. Both are scary accurate. Half-inch groups with first handloads I tried!

I have one in 6.5, shot 1/2" with OTC Fed Fusion 140 grain. I reload for it, and never had a "bad" group. Some just better than others. Also have one in .308, never shot any factory loads thru it, but it was quite a bit more difficult to get tuned. Best I can consistently get with it is in the .6's.

can find stocks for the a-bolt, but very hard to find am aftermarket stock for the x-bolt (is possible though)
not to many options for triggers either--can go with the mcarbo spring, or timney finally made a trigger for them too
mcgowen makes pre-fit barrels for the xbolt also--just not as many options available yet--but I'm hoeing due to the popularity of the hell's canyon rifles that more will slowly become available

can find stocks for the a-bolt, but very hard to find am aftermarket stock for the x-bolt (is possible though)
not to many options for triggers either--can go with the mcarbo spring, or timney finally made a trigger for them too
mcgowen makes pre-fit barrels for the xbolt also--just not as many options available yet--but I'm hoeing due to the popularity of the hell's canyon rifles that more will slowly become available

It's a positive start nonetheless and hopefully more to follow ...

It was just hard for me to understand that Browning has been around for so long and not a lot of custom stuff for them. Lot of cool feed back thanks everyone

It was just hard for me to understand that Browning has been around for so long and not a lot of custom stuff for them. Lot of cool feed back thanks everyone

The Miroku aspect turns many folks off: don't ask me why.

It's ok to drive a Japanese car but not a Japanese rifle I suppose.

The lack of Aftermarket support is another contributing factor, but honestly the A-Bolt II LH Stainless Stalker .270W I had didn't need anything other than cleaning every once & a while.

Every time it went off, a dead deer hit the ground: it was a boring rifle really.

The Miroku aspect turns many folks off: don't ask me why.

It's ok to drive a Japanese car but not a Japanese rifle I suppose.

The lack of Aftermarket support is another contributing factor, but honestly the A-Bolt II LH Stainless Stalker .270W I had didn't need anything other than cleaning every once & a while.

Every time it went off, a dead deer hit the ground: it was a boring rifle really.
Don't forget that everyone also loves Japanese glass... Nightforce, Vortex, Nikon, SWFA, Trijicon, etc... ;)

And this is coming from a guy who does NOT like Japanese cars... I prefer V8-powered American muscle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.