Browning X Bolt Speed 26" 7mm Rem Mag with Nosler ABLR

ERH

I bought a new Browning X-Bolt "Speed" in 7mm Rem. Mag. with 1:9.5 twist for moose hunting in Newfoundland. In hind sight, I would have preferred a 1:8.5 or 1:9 twist as these stabilize heavier bullets better. But did not want to pay for a custom rifle. However, I found the 7mm Nosler 168g ABLR and 175g ABLR stabilize in my rifle. Some Ballistic sources eg. Litz say they are stable under a 9.7 twist. My three shot groups are near MOA in my rifle with H4831sc, IMR 4831 and RL 22 (what I have in my cupboard) powder at max or near max loads ..so far.
My best load so far for 168g ABLR is 64g MOA Max Load with IMR 4831. Working up this load looking for pressure signs is wise. I chrono'd these at an average 3 shot group at 3005 fps with a 13 fps extreme spread. At 500 yards the 168g bullet arrives with over 2000 ft-lbs moose killing energy and is still clocking 2334 fps. I will shoot some in a few weeks at 300 yards for zero.
Stay tuned. My son has some H1000 I may also try. I am not a fan of the trigger but otherwise really like the rifles 60 degree bolt and 26 inch bronze cerakote barrel. It shoot sub MOA 140 grain AccuBonds.

Thanks. Been shooting and hand loading for decades as a hunter. I am not a high-power shooter otherwise I would have waited till the 7PRC was available. The 7 Rem Mag is a hunter's cartridge. In time the PRC will gain some till the next 7 Pazzaz comes out but hunters that are happy with 7mm Rem Rifles aren't buying some of the hype.

Howdy, ha it looks like your getting it figured out. The 168 has been working out for people. Keep us updated on your hunt. 👍
Yes the 168g ABLR's are hitting 3050 fps with IMR 4831 @47F and groups are near MOA, SD 11. Been testing Viht N560 with 175 ABLR and clocking 2974fps also 1 MOA w/SD 13. Did not encounter any case or primer concerns. Nice!
Now will soon play with OAL and concentricity. Want to see what velocities I get on 80 F days this summer before pushing any more powder.

Looks good, you might get some 80* weather this weekend. It's 87 today here in Wv. 74 yesterday, got my mower out and mowed some high spots. I have been trying N560 in my 300WM using 176A-tip. Like you said, I'm interested in the temp stability also. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a great day. 👍

I am not a fan of the trigger but otherwise really like the rifles 60 degree bolt and 26 inch bronze cerakote barrel
If you want to improve your trigger you should order a spring kit from MCarbo.
My buddy just bought a Xbolt and I let him shoot mine after he shot his and all he said is wow where do I order this spring kit.

Finished experiments with RL22 powder with Hornady 7mm 175g ELD-X and Nosler 175g ABLR in my Browning XBOLT Speed 7 Rem Mag.
Bullets chrono just over 3000 fps and both are sub-MOA using concentricity gage. The Browning has a long throat bolt face to rifling at 3.46 inches with these spitzers. Published COAL max is 3.29 inches for off shelf ammo but because the Browning magazine allows a very long bullet, I can load COAL to 3.44 inches, 0.020 off lands.