Need help with my "Boss" on my browning A-bolt 7mm rem mag

trailhunter

Great site by the way.........glad i found it. Anyhow i just bought a browning A-bolt 7mm rem mag with the Boss muzle break and tuner. I plan on shooting winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150gr. I looked on the browning site and found the "sweat spot" chart for the ammo. But there is a wide range of sweat spots for different ammo and grain of bullets, and my bullet i want to use isnt on the chart. Has anyone had exrience with this bullet and gun combo before? And if so could you set me up with a good starting piont. I really dont want to spend $60 :eek: a box on the premo ammo and still not have a clue where the sweat spot is. Ive aready blasted through 4 boxes and have yet to get my grouping with in 2 inches.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have never seen one shoot that bad no matter where the BOSS was on the barrel , you may have other issues. Check to see if your barrel is touching anywhere and if it is that needs to be corrected.

I'm sure that either way your gun would likely benifit from a PROPER bedding job not that little puddle of crap Browning puts in their. A trigger job would probably help too , I haven't seen a Browning yet that had a half way decinet trigger

I haven't realy had to much dealing with the BOSS ,I would set it in the middle , fire a group , adjust five click fire a group then adjust back five clicks past the start piont. one of the three goupes will tell you somthing pick the better of the three and keep moving in that direction untill the groups open back up.

In short its gonna take some rounds down range to figure this out and thats no differance than when guys reload , it take alot of time effort and money unfortunatly.

Where did you find the sweetspot info online???

I would go by the generic 150 grain info for a starting point. It should group better than that at any setting. Try taking it off and see what your groups are.

Trail hunter, Here is my opinion for what it is worth. Try some federal ammo and tunit (1/8) turn at a time. YES I SAID 1/8 TURN AT A TIME. It is an amazing toy on the end of your barrel. It actually will move a group 3 to 8 inches with an eight of a turn. That is what I found with mine anyway. But it works. I mean it really works for long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.