Browning HC Speed in 6.5 creedmore 22" barrel Berger 140 vld

mobenzowner

I am an experienced reloader and always start well below max and work up. I also know every barrel, throat etc, is different in even the same make of gun in the same caliber. So with the disclaimers out of the way I am looking to develop a nice mid-range velocity hunting load for the above stated rifle. I have H4350 in small amounts, but already have other pet loads(other calibers) using that powder so I would like to save it for known accurate loads. I have IMR4451 Enduron which I hear and have read of folks having success with in the 6.5 creed. My gun has about 80 rounds thru it (I bought used) and know what it liked at the upper velocity pressure range, but that's all. I want to save a littler wear on the barrel and don't plan to shoot beyond about 600 yds,
I am very familiar and have used Dan Newberry's OCW method. So logic would tell me to back off the high velocity load by about 3% and load a few above and below that number. With all this said, anyone using an x bolt have any good loads with the 4451 and berger 140 vld's you wouldn't mind sharing? I promise I have used search function and found good data, but you can never have too much.

mo, just finished loading 140 Berger VLDH with H4350 to test this weekend for the same rifle. Found the H4350 locally, but I've substituted the Enduron for Hodgdon in the past. I've read you should go a pinch lighter with the Enduron. I have seven test loads, hope one is a winner. Hope the 4451 does it for you.

Thanks Dosh! I am in the early stages of load development on this one. Last night I loaded up 3 each at same charge at different lengths via the Berger method in an effort to find the seating depth this rifle would like. Cant shoot till weekend. Then I will start moving up the powder charges till I find a good medium to high velocity node.

I got this gun used with approximately 70 rounds down the tube. Previous owner posted a load that gun shoots at .744", but according to published data that load is very very hot.

I'm shooting 45.6 of 4831sc with 140 eldm @2665 average with an sd of 4.3, its been sub moa out to 700. After 700 the bc of the eldm changes. Ive just loaded the same load to try with 140 Bergers this weekend.

Thanks a bunch LR325!! That's exactly the velocity range I am looking for approximately 2620 to 2680 fps. How long a barrel you shooting?

22" out of a Bergara HMR 14, shoots great to 1100 yards

So you don't need a 26" barrel and 2850 fps to take the 6.5 creed to 1000. That's good to know. I don't plan on having any hunting shots beyond 400 to 450 yds. I'll still have 1000 pounds energy at that range at less than max loading and can shoot paper or steel to 700 with less than max velocities. Just have to dope wind a little better at slower speeds.:D

Haha, no sir you don't, do your self a favor and stay with the Berger's. Ie shot around 200 eldm down the tube and they are great to 700 yards but the BC changes after that so you will have to have a secondary dope chart for 750 and beyond, I don't have this problem with the Berger's.

Stuff 42 grains h4350, federal 210 primer. Sammi COAL. Hornady brass.

I've found the last 4 creedmoors I've done load data for to shoot this load very well behind 140 eld match, 143 eldx, 140 HVLD, and 140 accubond.

I'm getting 2725 FPS out of a 22 inch Hawk Hill barrel.

I have had the same experience. 41.5-42.5 seems to be the sweet spot with the 140 class bullets and velocities around the 2700fps mark.

That particular gun shoots them .040 off in a benchmark barrel. Never paid much attention to the others because all of the loads shot so good at sammi spec length we didn't have to mess with seating Depth on any of the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.