browning 270wsm

Browning has always made great rifles treat yourself and get one . I'm a big 270wsm fan bought a used Savage md 14 American Classic it's one Heck of a Performer and a Beauty to carry n reload for , always was a 7 mag fan but my 270 wsm is just as Great 40 plus yrs reloading has taught n shone me that . Cheers

My wife just bought a HC speed in 270wsm. Hasn't shot it yet as the optics haven't come in yet. Can't wait though. I may buy one next. We currently have three other x-bolts 2 RMEF hunters in .300 win (one for each for me and the wife, she is 5'4" 125 and shoots with no break) and our oldest daughter has a Hunter in .270 win. All three are good shooters. The .300's we are shooting 200 grn partitions @ 2900 and getinge 3/4 moa.

Just an update. WeveW logged some range time with the rifle and we are just shooting Winchester factory through it right now for break in (got a deal on ammo couldn't pass up) 150 pp and 130xp and the rifle is cutting clover leafs of a sand bag. Really impressed with it so far. Can't wait to load for it. Is ts set up with talley lw and a Swarovski z3 3-10x42 brh.

I had an X-bolt in 300 wsm and it had a very, very mild recoil due to the X-bolt recoil pad and stock design. It was a shooter. Wish I would have kept it but it had a beautiful wood stock... and I am hard on wood stocks!
I have two X-bolt .280 Rems that are phenominal. Both will shoot 1/2 " groups, and that is with the very first handload I tried out of them. Haven't messed with the load as I was happy with the 1/2". They will shoot these groups, and better consistently, not just an occasional good group.
Both are SHOT Show specials with 26" tubes. Not the Long Range or Hells canyon.

I have a left hand Winchester model 70 270 WSM, just finished getting a new barrel on it the other looked like the craters of the moon inside. The new barrel is a Shilen and is 26" long

I've never had an Xbolt but my comment is on the . 270 WSM.
I had it for several years and loved it. I would buy another one for sure. In fact I have all my old brass etc. just in case I acquire one again.

Can't speak to the Brownings but my opinion on any magnum, given I have 270, 7mm, 300 and 325WSM and a 338WM, is that if it has a great recoil pad, that 270WSM caliber is a tack driver. The Tikkas come with a worthless hard rubber pad. Limbsaver makes a series of custom fit pads that are absolute game changers.

I have a 270 WSM but in a Winchester shadow. I have been reloading some 150 gn Matrix bullet that shoot Sub Moa but haven't shot any game yet with them but the first load I tried with these bullets was sub MOA. I have only shot out to 300 yards but but it shot sub MOA easily that far with a 165 Grain Matrix VLD bullet which has a very high BC. I used 65.8 gn of Winchester 780 but as always one should start several grains lower and work up.

That Hells Canyon is a beautiful rifle! I was just fondling one myself today. I am considering getting one in a 28 Nosler but that Christensen Arms Mesa Light rifle also is of great interest and only about a hundred more or so. If I get the Hells Canyon I'm thinking to get the speed version of it as it's a little ligthter than the LR version. The Speed in the 28 is 6 lb 13 oz and the LR hells canyon is 7 lb 8 oz. Neither are the Mcmillon version. The only difference I can see between the speed and the LR Hells canyon is that the LR has a heavier barrel cost more and also in some calibers including the 28 the LR has a quicker twist at 8 where as the speed has a 9 twist.
I believe the CA Mesa light rifle in a short action is 6.5 lbs and in Magnum is 7.3 lbs if I recall correctly. So with it's carbon fiber stock etc is slightly ligher than the Hells Canyon for what it's worth.

I've been hunting with mine all week here in the mountains of sw va in some really steep and nasty country. As steep and nasty as what I am accustomed to in North Idaho. I've found places where I am able to get a couple of miles from roads believe it or not. Point being the more I pack this rifle the more in love I am! Took a small fork horn meat buck with it a couple of days ago at about fifty yards using factory 150pp. Had a narrow shooting lane (less than two feet through heavy brush between two Laurel hells. The hit was higher than I had intended and I sponed him. Needless to say he hit the ground instantly. When I walked up and saw where the bullet struck I figured the meat damage would be severe. For the location of the shot it was minimal. Lost about 1/3 of the off side backstrap.

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_070919060.jpg
    IMG_20181120_070919060.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 187
I normally pass on bucks this size (come to think of it, this is the smallest one I have shot in 15 yrs) but our county only has one two doe days on NF and both are days I have to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_165908385.jpg
    IMG_20181118_165908385.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 210
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.