browing a bolt ideas

Timmyatneb

Hi .. I have a browning a bolt with detach mag in 243wssm caliber. It shoots lighter bullets awsome . .5 or less. But it has a heavy barrel on it . Ive been stricken bye the longrange bug. Iam wanting to shoot burger 105 hybrids or 115 vlds. Cant get them to shoot good like the 70 grain bullets. Does anyone know of a gun smith that will rebarrel my a bolt a possibly true action for me thanks a lot.

Hi .. I have a browning a bolt with detach mag in 243wssm caliber. It shoots lighter bullets awsome . .5 or less. But it has a heavy barrel on it . Ive been stricken bye the longrange bug. Iam wanting to shoot burger 105 hybrids or 115 vlds. Cant get them to shoot good like the 70 grain bullets. Does anyone know of a gun smith that will rebarrel my a bolt a possibly true action for me thanks a lot.

What is the twist rate of your barrel ? for the heavy bullets you need a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 9 twist.

Chances are that your barrel is a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 12, But if it shoots good you should try
the heavy bullets just to see if it will shoot them.

Re-barreling the browning A bolt is no big deal and they can be made to shoot well with action truing and good Smithing.

The heavier barrels are better for long range so if you replace it I recommend at least something in a # 5 or 6 contour. (Slightly lighter than a Sendero).

Good luck on your project.

Thank you for the reply .. J E customs. Do you know anyone that could put a new barrel on there for me. I can't find anyone , other that pac nor . I know these thinks usually take time and iam ok with that no hurry just would really like to have it done. Thanks.

Timmyatneb,

The list that I have for factory barrel twist rates states that the Browning uses a 1:10" twist rate for their .243 barrels. However, you can double check this by using a ball bearing cleaning rod with a snug patch.

My guess would be that your twist is slower than necessary since a top end load with the WSSM needs at least a 1:9.3" for these longer VLD bullets. Bartlein makes mine in 1:8.7" for all of the 6mm barrels I use.

I also suggest that these VLD and VLD Hybrid bullets take a little more care in tuning loads than do the standard boat tail bullets. What may start out shooting mediocre simply needs more work with seating depth and less contact with the lands.

As far as locating a gunsmith is concerned, what is your approximate location? I can suggest several given the locale. The Browning can be blueprinted and barreled just like any other bolt action rifle.

If you want to check the Bartlein website, you can try the #4 Bull Sporter as a good compromise to the heavier Varmint or Palma contours. I've used this contour on several rifles for 1,000 yard targets quite successfully.

Regards.

Iam located in central nebraska . But willing to ship anywhere. If you find someone who will blueprint and install barrel that would be great.

Well if it was me I would look at JE Custom! I do no know for sure but with his extensive knowledge he might be John Eckenrode. Maybe he can set us straight on that. Just a assumption on my behalf.
The owner of this forum might just be a person we should mention and support. It amazes me that we do not honor him more.
Elk Meadows Performance ( Steve Pratt) is a sponsor and also works on Brownings, he has a lot of precision knowledge.

Brownings are different in their own ways. They are VERY high quality compared to our most common favorites. but many precision smiths will not work on them due to experience with them and barrel removal is VERY difficult. IIN my years of owning more than my fair share of rifles, my experience is Weatherby and Brownings are of the highest quality followed by Tikka. The Accumark is the best by far compared to all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.