Broadheads for the Tac 15

chipper44

Been trying to find info on the a recommended broad head for my Tac 15, Hawk scope. Have some Rage Hypodermics that I haven't used yet. I'm worried about the Rage and others opening during flight with the speed on the Tac.

Thinking about NAP Bloodrunners 2 blade. Like the idea of them cutting whether they deploy or not. Just in case..

So what are you experts using or recommend. It's my first year with the Tac 15 and season opens in 3 weeks. Been shooting with the practice points. Time to get going with the broad heads for hunting. WI whitetails is all I'll be hunting.

Thanks guys.

Well I finally found what I was looking for. NAP Spitfire Killzone Crossbow broad heads.

No stupid collars, rubber bands or orings and are tested to 400 fps. I copied some info from the NAP website:

The new Killzone® Crossbow is a 2 blade rear-deploying broadhead that packs a devastating 2" cutting diameter and heavy-duty .039" blades for maximum durability. The field-point accurate Killzone® Crossbow uses NAP's unique spring-clip design which ensures your blades won't open in flight or in your quiver. There are no o-rings or rubber bands to worry about. Designed for use in crossbows up to 400 fps.

I've been using the G5 T3 crossbow mechanical broadhead with great success. It flies true and have not had any problem with them opening in flight.

I have used Grim Reaper xbow 1-1/2" for 3 seasons. I have no problems and the practice tips are shaped the same as when in flight. also the practice tips come out of targets well.

As powerful and hard hitting as TAC-15 arrows are, I think you could put a blunt tip on arrow, and still take a deer down. (Not that I would.)

Despite using NAPP MAXX with 1-3/4 inch cut, the arrows from TAC-15 blow through deer like shooting through couple layers of cardboard. Virtually every time, arrow ends up buried in ground.
Sometimes with head or arrow being damaging from hitting the ONE lone rock buried in ground, in entire area.

Which leads to two questions for all those TAC-15 shooters.

Have you ever seen an arrow shot from a TAC-15 fail to go all way through a deer?
If yes, was it due to a Mechanical failure, bad Broadhead, hitting heavy bone, ... ?
Or deer wearing Type-3 Ballistic Armour?

I killed one deer, the arrow stopped at heavy bone. the deer did not take a step though. I hunt very rocky mountain land in Oklahoma and when I shoot it normally means that arrow and grim reaper broadhead is done. I shoot the aerobolts you can buy off of the LRH store. so when I shoot counting broadhead add about $45 to that deer/hog. but I don't have to track them much.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.