Brine for Turkey

Waynzee

Hi fellas, hey, anybody got a good brine for a Turkey to be roasted in the oven.

Do you add any seasoning after the Turkey is brined? Like poultry season or pepper.

After it's brined and just before the oven I rub the breast (under the skin) with a mixture of butter and olive oil (just enough olive oil to keep the butter from hardening as I work) mixed with my seasonings. I use typical seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, sage) When I can't get fresh herbs, I sometimes cook the seasonings for about twenty minutes in the butter/olive oil to infuse the oils and soften them.
I never "stuff" the bird as the stuffing requires a safe finished cooking temperature that is difficult to achieve without overcooking the turkey.

After it's brined and just before the oven I rub the breast (under the skin) with a mixture of butter and olive oil (just enough olive oil to keep the butter from hardening as I work) mixed with my seasonings. I use typical seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, sage) When I can't get fresh herbs, I sometimes cook the seasonings for about twenty minutes in the butter/olive oil to infuse the oils and soften them.
I never "stuff" the bird as the stuffing requires a safe finished cooking temperature that is difficult to achieve without overcooking the turkey.
Thanks, I use a simple rub of sugar, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning all over the outside of the Turkey the sugar helps crisp up the skin and seals in the juices. But the next time I'm going to brine the Turkey and use the same rub without the salt.

Just in case you haven't tried it, basting in fruit juice (orange or apple are my favorites) browns the skin nicely and enhances he flavor at he same time.

So, use a fruit juice instead of sugar ? I have though about sweet apple cider.

1 gallon apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup salt
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
18 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large cloves garlic, crushed

1 turkey, 12 to 15 pounds

In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the apple juice, brown sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute, remove from the heat, and skim off the foam. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature (or add ice to cool, but be careful not to over-dilute)

In a large steel pot or other container large enough to easily hold the turkey, combine the apple juice mixture (cooled), the oranges, ginger, cloves, bay leaves, and garlic. Add and stir.

Remove and discard the fat from the turkey cavity. Remove the neck and giblets etc. Rinse the turkey inside and out, drain, and submerge the turkey in the brine. Add water to cover completely. If necessary, top with a heavy weight to make sure it is completely immersed. Refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

1 gallon apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup salt
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
18 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large cloves garlic, crushed

1 turkey, 12 to 15 pounds

In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the apple juice, brown sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute, remove from the heat, and skim off the foam. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature (or add ice to cool, but be careful not to over-dilute)

In a large steel pot or other container large enough to easily hold the turkey, combine the apple juice mixture (cooled), the oranges, ginger, cloves, bay leaves, and garlic. Add and stir.

Remove and discard the fat from the turkey cavity. Remove the neck and giblets etc. Rinse the turkey inside and out, drain, and submerge the turkey in the brine. Add water to cover completely. If necessary, top with a heavy weight to make sure it is completely immersed. Refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
Thanks acourvil, this sounds really good too!

Hi fellas, hey, anybody got a good brine for a Turkey to be roasted in the oven.

Yes... ice water and salt for 18 hours. Loosen the breast skin to allow the brine to reach the meat.

All the other stuff in the brine does not add an appreciable amount, if any flavor to the meat but if you throw it in the roasting pan, it smells good in the house and it does improve the flavor of the gravy. Some fresh herbs (rosemary sprigs & garlic) can be placed under the breast skin when roasting but don't overdo it or it can seem bitter. Simply season the giblet gravy to your liking, add all those great spices and other ingredients to the stuffing. Or not...

Either way, using a brine is a hit.

Because I believe "brining" a turkey is a process for contributing to its tenderness and moistness, I use this very simple recipe:

How to Brine a Whole Turkey - Betty Crocker

IMO, "brines" that include flavorings are actually better qualified to be called marinades than brines.

lightbulbI stopped using brine a long time ago because I can get the tenderness, moistness, and flavor without it.lightbulb

Thanks for all the ideas, so, I tried a salt, sugar, sweetcider and a few spices brine and it worked good but I think I'll just stick to the tried and true way I've done Turkeys in the past it's just as good and costs a lot less.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.