Brent, looking for ballistic info

MAX

Subject is transonic "turbulence", question: Is it? I've tossed this around a few times, once here some time back. I understand that drag goes way up in this range(M0.75-M1.3), just wondering if there is particicular turbulence associated in the flow field as well. Aircraft operate in the lower range(M.75-.97) routinely with no observable buffeting although I understand that the transition at Mach 1 has some bumps. I am also aware that aircraft NOT designed for flight in the range are subject to buffeting as they approach Mach 1. In regards to bullets, I've not seen any literature that addresses this directly, and have seen nothing that really indicates turbulence in the spark shadowgraphs I've seen of projectiles in this speed range. Any thoughts or references appreciated.

Another minor question: Anybody know who the author(HTL) is at this site?web page

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: MAX ]

Don't know the author Max, looks liek a good read though. I'll have to check it out.

I hear what you're saying, and have heard the same things as well.

aeroballistics.com, Donna might know more about this.

Someone understands this well, they design the planes and must know what and wher the influences are and why??

Be back in a bit...

Standing by Brent, thanks. Tried the "aeroballistics.com" and got an airgun site under construction. Can you link what you referred to?

Thanks Brent! Off to the other side of the internet, will let you know what I find, if anything.
wink.gif

Brent, got an email from Donna with several references. They are somewhat obscure and may take time to locate. Thanks for the lead to her site!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.