Brass Help

Jscrapmetal

Just getting into reloading and have been reading on here for a while. My question is how short is to short for brass. I am reloading 300 win mag I have once fired brass from ABM ammo not sure the brand but was told its really good brass. Book says 2.620 but my brass is shorter than that is that ok? And should they all be the same length to the T? I am not looking to shoot 1000yds but would like to make some good hunting ammo. I am loading 185 classic hunters. Thanks.

The SAAMI spec on 300 Win Mag brass length is 2.600" - 2.620". I like mine to all be within a couple thousandths of the same length, I don't know how long a "T" is, but they don't have to be.

Consistent neck lengths can't hurt and you want as many things as possible to be the same from shot to shot. That being said, I don't try very hard to keep all mine exactly the same. Some cases will grow a bit more than others when fired/sized. As long as they aren't too long (can cause some potentially dangerous problems) you should be fine. Some people are picky about brass lengths. I'm not one of them :). If its below the max length, I load and shoot.

Just getting into reloading and have been reading on here for a while. My question is how short is to short for brass. I am reloading 300 win mag I have once fired brass from ABM ammo not sure the brand but was told its really good brass. Book says 2.620 but my brass is shorter than that is that ok? And should they all be the same length to the T? I am not looking to shoot 1000yds but would like to make some good hunting ammo. I am loading 185 classic hunters. Thanks.

I have trimmed brass up to .040 short with no ill effects. But for the 300 win mag I would not recommend going any shorter
than .040 because the necks are already fairly short to begin with.

Most people trim just enough to clean up there brass (.010 to .020 thousandths)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.