Brass head question

ZIMM

I started to gather my used SST's shotgun shells that I used last year to start learning how to reload. I notice a lot of them had what I would call them as rough almost like a crimped edge on them. Do I take the shells and go to a gun smith to figure out whats going on? Any suggestions???

If you are talking about the SST Slugs, the crimp is called a roll crimp. If you want to reload shotshells, a folded crimp is best (either 6 or 8). Slugs, that requires a roll crimp. Do a google on Precision Reloading or Ballistic Products. They both have roll crimp tools.

You cannot (or at least without a lot of difficulty) change a roll crimp to a fold (star) crimp.

Also, shotgun shells are more sensitive to component changes. If you don't follow a recipe from a reputable source you could have a ka-boom!

My question is the... Why are the crimp edges on the brass head look damaged. Its almost looks like someone took tin snips to the edges of the brass head.

Just a guess here but you may have an ejector issue or they are hitting something on the way out.

Are the hulls landing on concrete?

Just a guess here but you may have an ejector issue or they are hitting something on the way out.

Are the hulls landing on concrete?

no there not landing on concrete. I believe its an ejector issue. Should i take it to a gunsmith.
Z

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts