Brass consistency for 6 BR

TackDriv3r

I only have 100 pieces of Lapua 6BR brass atm, wanting to buy another 100 pieces, but not sure if the lot will match my current lot, since I want both batch to shoot the same POI at 600, so I may want to buy 200 pieces instead. I forgot what my old lot number was. I have always used Lapua brass and never tried Petersons, ADI or Alpha. Most of you guys experienced with different brass.

Which brass has the best consistency in neck thickness / roundness and weight / volume?

I got into the same conundrum with two different batches of Peterson 300WM Long. Great brass, but 2.3 grain difference in H20 capacity. Hopefully, that will reduce as I get more firings on the brass, but for now, I'm keeping them separate which is a PITA.

What would be the measurement on your loaded round neck with Petersons?
0.266-0.267" from calipers.

Battery is dead in my mic... again :rolleyes: Buy manual tools, kids.

From my notes neck wall is 0.012-0.013" on the cases I measured. I didn't turn these.

Just checked some Norma cases I have loaded for my pistol. 6mm BR Norma Norma-branded cases are the same. 0.267" loaded, 0.012-0.013" neck wall.

One thing to note, I'm 99% sure both Norma and Peterson use the small Lapua flash hole, so make sure whatever you de-prime with is a 0.060" pin and not a 0.070" pin. Redding makes a set of universal decapping dies that can take the small pins, and my Harvey deprimer tool came with a small pin also. I punched two of my Normas with a large pin not thinking it through, because unlike Lapua where they put the note right there on the side of the box these didn't say anything.

Last edited:
0.266-0.267" from calipers.

Battery is dead in my mic... again :rolleyes: Buy manual tools, kids.
This is why I like books and manual tools, doesn't matter if my battery is dead or the internet is down I can still do my work. I worked in auto parts years ago and last time I checked a couple of years ago I could still look up parts in a book faster than a kid could on a computer. And if your battery is dead in a measurement tool or your computer you're done, no more work gets done until you get the tool back up with batteries or charge the computer. Not counting if the internet goes down.

Last edited:
Found my manual mic. Confirmed to an immaterial difference 🤣

I have a pair of Starrett calipers that have been covered in every fluid to ever be put into an automobile and somehow they still work.

Yes, Peterson cases are 0.267" +/- 0.0005" loaded. Never turned.

The neck thickness measurement comes from notes on 10 cases I pulled from the batch to start with, I have no way of matching the cases I measured to loaded rounds I'm measuring now. Could just be I pulled thinner cases at random, or I'm not catching a 0.013" high spot on the mic.

I decided not to skim turn these necks because they're already on the thin side to start with, and variance was 0.001" or under. I try not to go under 0.0125" unless the chamber demands it - these certainly do not, they're an Xcaliber Savage pre-fit and a Rem factory barrel. My Dashers are no-turn chambers also.