Boresopes

thatguyshm

Hey there,

I know the Hawkes Borescope is the way to go, but I don't have an extra 800 kicking around that isn't already funneled towards another project. A quick ebay search, theres borescopes out there for plumbing applications. I've seen all the way down to 7mm camera head. I know they are cheap as hell, but if I don't plan on using it every day, has anyone used something like this just to look at your throat?

They are only like 30-150 bucks, depending on what you are looking for.

Not sure what to expect, but we shall see.

-shm

My uncle bought one of those...they can kinda give you alil bit of an idea but don't magnify enough to get a real close look....

They are Hawkeye's BTW. I have one and 800 bucks is reasonable for the optical clarity. The issue with 'plumbing' type scopes is they won't have the mirror attached to the head to actually look at the rifling nor do they have the optical resolution. Hawkeye is real time optics, not interpolated electronic imagiong.

My suggestion is save your money up and get the real thing. That aren't afterall, much more than a run of the mill riflescope and play a big part in buying a used forearm of selling one.

Actually there are a couple manufacturers that make them but the others are for industrial cavity inspection, blinf hole inspection and internal component inspection, something I use the Hawkeye for plus it's a dandy way to look inside an engine to look at things like valve seats and how the compression rings (scraper rings) are riding the cylinder walls.

In the grand scheme of things, a Hawkeye isn't all that much unless you opt for the angled eyepiece and extra extension rods and thats another couple hundred and with reasonable care, it will outlast you.

For way less than a high end scope, you have a tool that you can use for kots of things besides rifle bore inspection.

Anytime I look at a used firearm, I have my bore scope with me. I want to see the condition of the barrel inside before I buy anything. A 'pretty face' is no indicator of internal damage, heavy fouling or just plain neglect.

A big enlightenment is lookiing at a factory barrel and then looking at say a Bartlien inside. Custom barrels compared to a factory barrel is night and day most times.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.