Bore Snake... A better way to clean???

I just experienced this problem. My snake got stuck and the line broke I couldn't get the remainder out and it took two gunsmiths to finally clear it. Unfortunately this event screwed up the accuracy of my rifle. It used to shoot .50 MOA groups and now it's shooting 1.5" MOA groups. I don't think I'll be using a snake in a long gun again.

Sorry about your problem.

I have never experanced any problem with them. however There is one improvement that
could be made to the bore snake, A positive identification of the caliber after it is taken out
of the package other than color.

I always check the caliber and place it on the bag I keep it in for that rifle.

Also I find it works well if I downsize one caliber (Like .277 for .284) and this makes it easier to
pull through and it still swabs the bore with the rope behind the brush. (all I,m trying to do is
sweep out the powder fouling any way).

J E CUSTOM

Great idea! I'll "snag" a .243 snake and that should work just fine for fast field swipes. Thanks!

I cleaned my rifle, shot 10 shots then cleaned it again with rod and patches, shot another 10 shots and cleaned with 1 swipe of the bore snake. I then cleaned with patches. I was totally surprised at how much powder fouling it took out. I didnt test it for copper fouling but my hart doesn't show any copper fouling after 10 anyway. I dont know how well it would work after shooting 60 or more shots in a prairie dog shoot.

One thing I'm curious about I've read here and other post that some guys use bore snake in the field if they get something in barrel. My question is how do you get the bore snake to go through barrel if it is plugged:rolleyes:, just sayin. I like Roys idea of the cheap screw togeather rod, seems like that would work better how much more room could it take up?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.