Bore guides, school me please

Kroberts

I understand the importance of using a bore guide. But have no idea where to start looking at for good ones. I have one I've been using in my savage 10 in 284win. It's the Tipton universal. It seems to have a snug fit in the action with te handle bushing and the rod is fairly tight to the smaller of ye guide tips. Though it doesn't fit my CZ527 in 22hornet at all. I'm wondering what would be a good one for it, especially since that rifle seems to need a cleaning more often than the 284win. And if the opinions of the Tipton universal are negative, what's a good one for the savage?

So my questions:
- what's a good bore guide for CZ527 22hornet
- what are the opinions of the Tipton universal bore guide
- what would be a good replacement for the Tipton in the savage 10 in 284win

All opinions and advice appreciated,
Thanks,
Kyle

I use the Tipton for everything 25 cal and up and see no issues with it. I have two of them.

For my 17 HMR I use a Sinclar guide made specifically for the Savage. It works great. They make some for 22 cal. They may work with the Hornet.

Years ago a master gunsmith said "if you don't use a bore guide, don't bother cleaning your barrel". He also said "more barrels are damaged by cleaning than firing". I have Mike Lucas Bore Guides for all my rifles. They are machined to specific make, model and caliber. The cleaning rod insert is unique, it keeps the rod off the lands. Mr. Lucas prefers e-mail orders, he is a great guy and a major shooting sports supporter. Kroberts, great thread on a seldom discussed subject. Good luck

I'll definitely have to look into those Lucas bore guides a little closer. They look like they will be great. For now I put the possum hollow one in my order for the hornet. I found the one they say works for the CZ. I felt like this is a topic not generallyduscussed very often, and had trouble funding much in the good vs bad bore guides.

Thanks for the opinions,
Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.