Boats $$$$ 🤬🤬🤬

Just removed lower unit today and everything looks in great shape. The impeller did look a little funky so I bet it was a problem. The shaft still looks in great shape, all the splines a crisp and clean. I thought I had some Marine grease but nope did not so I cannot put together without it. So tomorrow IO IO off the the marina to steal a previous post!

BTW, mercruiserparts.com has parts for lot of years and Mercury OB as well. I have used them for years with great success. I have the serial numbers for engine and drive which makes it really easy to log in SN and get to the parts menus you need.

The older classic boats like that are a pleasure to look at.
Those used in fresh water only for sure have a longer life than those used exclusively in salt, especially the outdrive models.
My first boat was a moulded plywood runabout i bought new in 1954. It had a 4 cylinder Mark 55 40 hp Mercury motor on it which was the largest outboard made at that time. About 2 years later i traded that motor for an electric start 35 horse Johnson, again the largest motor Johnson made at that time.
Penyan boats were around at that time also, as were a few others like Lyman and of coarse Chris Craft and Century.
Glass boats were just starting to show up in the mid 50s.
One brand of small boats popular at that time was MFG.
Does anybody here beside me remember Roy Rogers t v show where he had a twin outboard powered runabout about the size of the boat i had, which was 14'. Due to that show some guys i knew were hanging 2 motors on their boats as well.
They had to keep them moving, otherwise water came in over the transom. lol
So my question for Muddy would be, are you still using an X15
paper machine on that boat? lol

Make sure the impeller petals are turn to right way when you go back together.
Haha, took pic of to be sure! Counterclockwise is your friend!! Dab of grease in housing helps a bunch cause it is so dang tough to twist it in. Dab of grease on the shaft key to keep it in place. Make sure impeller slot is line up reasonably well to get shaft key in slot somewhat easy. All in all, take your time and it will go back together pretty good.

Buy the kit so you replace ALL the seals and includes new key. IMO buy OEM as well. Why chintz on the most important part on your cooling system?

Have to wait for my son to help me lift outdrive up and align the splines. Back just doesn't allow me to do this so gotta be smart.

Penyan boats were around at that time also, as were a few others like Lyman and of coarse Chris Craft and Century.
Glass boats were just starting to show up in the mid 50s.
One brand of small boats popular at that time was MFG.
Good memory! Thompson's, Hy Liners, Gar Wood and the only one I ever saw was a Stanley in Adirondacks. It was like a Cadillac of Chris Craft style boat but had better hull I think. I know a bunch more but these were what I recall seeing growing up. My dad had a Hy Liner with 40hp Johnson that at the time was pretty fast at 27mph? Boats that had unique style that is endless. Wow, talk about drifting off into memories!😂

Update: impeller in and muff tested for 20 minutes so temp gauge was perfect! The trim up didn't work even after major work last May to replace both limit switch and sender last year. I refused to believe new limit switch could be bad so I tested entire system and finally realized it had to be bad limit switch! So I made a bridge across the power in to pump from limit switch where I unplugged the so called new limit switch with 20A in line ATC fuse so if aw crap happens I blow fuse and not trim pump. Son laughs at my over engineering but if works it is perm fix!

I put in place, prayed and pushed switch up...worked perfectly! So back in business! Going fishing Monday!!!

Last edited:
I'm impressed with your ability to breathe new life in your boat. I miss the great times on my boats. I believe the boat can be the best investment for keeping your family together when your kids are relatively young. It was for my family. The only boats I now own is a canoe and kayak.

Haha, took pic of to be sure! Counterclockwise is your friend!! Dab of grease in housing helps a bunch cause it is so dang tough to twist it in. Dab of grease on the shaft key to keep it in place. Make sure impeller slot is line up reasonably well to get shaft key in slot somewhat easy. All in all, take your time and it will go back together pretty good.

Buy the kit so you replace ALL the seals and includes new key. IMO buy OEM as well. Why chintz on the most important part on your cooling system?

Have to wait for my son to help me lift outdrive up and align the splines. Back just doesn't allow me to do this so gotta be smart.
Soak the impeller in 303 protectant overnight and it will last for years. Same goes for fan belts and wiper blades or any rubber part.