BMG Bullets

JackRabbitSquare

So I was looking at swaging my own bullets. Both Corbin and REC LLC have presses that they say will make BMG bullets. The press could also double as a reloading setup and I could swage cheap lead pistol bullets as well (so it would not just be for BMG bullets)

So the big ticket items needed is the press, dies, jacket maker or premade jackets, and either lead wire + cutter or a core mould tool.

The RCE Walnut Hill press is a fair amount cheaper but will only make BMG bullets up to 2" long. The Mega Mite press from Corbin will make bullets up to 2.5" long. According to the specs the dies for both are the same thread so it may be possible to use the dies from one in the other but I'm not sure.

Here's what I've found so far.

Corbin

CSP-2 MEGA-MITE Press - $998
RBT open tip or lead tip Die - $1352
Tubing Jacket-maker - $649
3-cavity magnum core mould - $198

RCE

Walnut Hill Press - $349
.50 BMG Die Set - $688
Adjustable Core Mould - $92

looks like the RCE setup would end up cheaper but I might have to get the jacket maker from Corbin or go with premade jackets. From what I've been able to find the wait from a press from either maker is a 9+ month wait.

I'm really concerned with the 2" limitation with the RCE press though. I've been trying to find the specs but it looks like most BMG bullets are a little over 2" with some approching 3".

Does anyone have any expierience making their own jacketed bullets? What about the best Ogive for long range BMG bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.