Blown primer in .243 Ackley

You said you had to use force to put a bullet in a fired case. That means the case isn't expanding . It signifies you either have a too tight neck or some form of blockage. Seeing how it is an AI version. It sounds like your neck is short and your getting a carbon ring. A cup n core bullet will show increases in velocity. A barnes is not a cup n core bullet. You need to address the clearance issue and don't guess. Your face is behind the skinny piece of steel your building excessive pressure in front of. Either buy or have a smith scope then measure your chamber. I'd cerrosafe the chamber if the scope say's it's clean(doubtful)

minimum book for cup and core ( berger) is the max load for monos ( barnes )
I just checked you are maxed out for barnes
clean barrel, check reloading supplies are right, check length, and start at 42.0 H4831sc

I would go with what was suggested by this can1010 with the length of brass need to be checked then I would also check the bullet diameter to see if they are .243 or .264 , as I have found before. You may also want to check the volume capacity of the brass using water and compare to your other previously fired rounds. It could cause them to be high pressure if there is less capacity. If using a magnum primer drop 2 to 4 grs. on powder load. I prefer to use magnum primers with this type of power and with wildcat loads give more consistent velocity as your ignition is better. Hope this helps.

Get some bore tech C4 and atttack the throat to make sure you don't have a carbon ring first.

Then start lower. You'll see pressure sooner with solid copper bullets than traditional. I'm loading the 95gr LRX in a 6mm Creedmoor which Barnes lists 42.5gr to be the max with H4350. At 42.5gr in cold weather I got an ejector swipe. My load ended up being 41.6gr which gives me 3154fps average.

The bullets shoot and work great once you find a load. I shot 100 rounds with Varget which worked but wasn't the ideal burn rate, and just redeveloped with H4350. I started them .040" off that lands and it was money with both powders.

Correct...I'm in California. Starting this year everything must be lead free, even shotgun for dove etc...
Don't understand stand why we let 3 percent of the population control the rest of us. We need people to get off their butts and vote. Get some good people into high places with good morals and a brain.

Oregon(I mean little California as is all the surrounding areas and dispersing daily) is also getting to the point of lead free.....wont be long.....

I'm kinda thinking the carbon ring...I cleaned it and got a decent amount of "black" out of it.
My son-in-law blew 2 primers with factory loads in his .243. Barely got the bolt out. It turns out there was a carbon ring build up right at the end of the neck. I could see a black ring all the way around the spent brass maybe .020" wide at the mouth of the brass. Nowhere else further down the neck! Both cases destroyed at the head.
He was lazy and would just run patches of Hoppes until they looked clean. No brushing, just stupid and lazy. I'm still ****ed because my head was near that gun, looking for his bullet strikes.
If the bullets don't slide easily into the spent cartridges on any rifle, you may need to neck turn or look for other quality brass that is .0005-.001 thinner on brass neck wall. I allow .004 clearance with loaded ammo on my 7mm mag. I casted the chamber to have an exact number.
See if your brass trimmed length is correct. Chamfer i.d. and o.d after trimming or if it's missing completely.
Check your primer pockets for size often: feel is o.k. when seating primers but subjective. I got a no go pin at max SAMMI dia. (Because of past bolt face witness marks)
Good luck.

How much did the case stretch after firing? If the shoulder was pushed back 4 or 5 thousands and there is a heavy carbon ring holding the case neck it's possible to pop a primer. Is there any extractor marks on the rim? measure the flash hole on the fired cases and unfired case. also the spent primer and a new one

Get involved...... Write letters to your Congress and senators. Don't just lay down and let them do What they want. It takes good people just like us to change the thinking of other people who don't know any better. They here lead free and think that its a good idea not knowing that lead is prevalent in all most all soil. Fight the good fight!!!

Good luck...
Hope you get it figured out. Sounds like you need to trim the neck of your brass to allow them to expand and seal the chamber or the throat needs the be re-reammed so you have room for the bullet to escape your brass. Good luck and God bless.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.