Blown primer in .243 Ackley

So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

First up is my .243 Ack, my go to rifle that has always shot 105gr Berger's

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

I loaded 5 of the 95gr Barnes LRX with H4831SC.

I started at 46 then 47, 48, 49, 50 based on loads I found online and QL calcs.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????

Could you have left a patch in the note?

I know they are different powders, I was just saying that because they are similar burn rates compared to other loads I've seen. Even on QL, pressure wise they are similar in the Ack.

That's one thing that still has me confused, on QL with a 95gr TSX it's still only showing 45k. In my experience, QL usually reads higher than in real life.

I have pressure testing equipment - Oehler 43PBL and the opposite is true. QL predictions are very close as long as the data inputs are accurate.

****, didn't really see you arguing myself. Looked like you were just giving your loading info. Barnes are gonna be a longer bullet compared to a lead bullet of the same weight. Could be more bullet in case than before causing more pressure? Also the ogive will be different on both bullets if your going off overall length. May not be the issue but maybe some things to look at.

I have a dumb question but are you sure you have the correct size primers? I once saw a box that was labeled large rifle primers but in fact had small rifle primers in them...the manufacturer was so embarrassed they sent the guy an entire brick for free.

I answered your questions politely. What other real data do you want? Lets assume they are .050 off the lands, and lets also assume they were touching...what could be the issue with both? I understand jammed and touching can cause pressure spikes, but one that big is new

There is SEVERAL REASONS WHY this could of happened! 1 Too HOT of a charge. 2 Mag Primer instead of a regular. 3. Dirty Bore or Chamber. 4 Seating Depth. 5 Tight BORE on a KNOWN SAFE LOAD. 6 Improper Neck Tension. 7 Reloaded case too long, out of spec. 8 Guesstimating? 9 Improper Reloading Practices. 10 Temperature & or Altitude changes. And these are just what comes to mind without ever having laid eyes on the Rifle. NEVER EVER EVER GUESSTIMATE WHEN RELOADING! NOT if you VALUE YOUR WEAPON, SHOOTING & RANGE BUDDIES, & YOUR LIFE! IT's UNFORGIVING! CLEAN PROPERLY the Bore & Chamber. Use BRAND NEW in the box, can or jug Quality componets if there is even the Slightest Doubt of their packaging, or conistancy! Start with Lowest Reputable Manuel Load, NEVER. a load posted on WWW, Seat the bullet to Manuels Cartridge Overall Length. INCREASE Charges in 2 to 3 tenths of a Grain Incrimates until you find your the most ACCURATE Charge, Then Fine Tune that load in 1 Tenth of a grain increases until you find the MOST ACCURATE! THEN, use a Permant Marker & Paint your Bullets with it. I ALWAYS START 10 thousands OFF THE Lands with ANY RIFLE, then I FINE TUNE the Seating Depths until I FIND MY PET LOAD! ALL of these steps & measurement MUST BE RECORDED for EXTREME ACCURACY OUT OF ANY RIFLE! THEN you MUST LOAD EVERY SINGLE ROUND EXACTLY the SAME for SUPREME EXTREME ACCURACY! All of these step EACH & EVERY TIME! NO VARABLES AT ALL! CONSISTENCY EQUAL ACCURACY! AND SAFETY ABOVE ALL! I hope this helps brother, if NOT, TAKE THE RIFLE to your SMITH & let him have a look. Theosmithjr aka PrideMale

Last edited:
So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????

the shot start pressure default is way off. use 12276 until you get some velocity readings. there are two ways to square up QL and they will have different pressures for same velocity. once you have chrony readings lower start pressure to match velocity and fine tune with powder BA

Yup, changing the Shot Start Pressure definitely bumped the chamber pressure WAY up. Thank you for that info!!!

Yup, changing the Shot Start Pressure definitely bumped the chamber pressure WAY up. Thank you for that info!!!
glad to help. that is a good way to set QL when there is no known info because it starts higher on pressure. it is shot start default plus 7200 also works with cup and core bullets.

Barnes bullets are notorious for creating higher pressures than regular bullets. What reloading manual did you use? If you are going to use Barnes bullets, I would recommend getting the Barnes manual and using it. You might also go to Hornaday bullets for your .243 AI. It doesn't sound like a reloading mistake to me. One other thing you might check is if your sizing die has been moved down on you, giving greater set-back on the shoulder. I had that happen with one of my .308 dies and that created a head space problem that duplicated what you're experiencing. Things like that happen, and they happen to everyone if they've been reloading long enough. I've been reloading for about 50 years and I've had other things happen, too. But check your shoulder set-back and see if maybe it is a little off.

Any ideas????

Loose primer pocket?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.