Bldg new 260 rem

Guys I am going to build a new 260 Remington for longer hunting shots can anybody tell me what the optimum barrel length would be and if I should build it off of a short or long action. I have one I hunt with now built off an old Stevens 200 action that shoots lights out but I want to make a dedicated long-range rig

I built my self a 260 AI so it could match the velocity of a 7/08 with the same bullet weight. It shoots great while firing the 260 cartridge (I do the AI,s like PO Ackley recommends with .002 to .004 thousandths crush on a SAMMI 260 rem cartridge) And can have excellent accuracy and fire form to the faster AI version.

I would build it on a short action to keep it handy and load to mag length. The 260 AI adds 100+ft/sec to the 260 and allows for a 3000+ft/sec 140 grain bullet with great Ballistics.

Like most 308 based cartridges 24 to 26'' barrels are just about optimal length. you will get a little more velocity the longer you get but not enough to make worthwhile in my opinion.

With all of the available new powders long seating of bullets is not necessary to reach max pressures/velocities any more.

J E CUSTOM

I have two 260's with Proof CF barrels. One is a 24" barrel and the other is 26". The 24" barreled gun shoots 140 Berger Hybrids at 2777 fps and the 24" rifle shoots the same load at 2850 fps. The extra two inches nets me a 73 fps increase. Hope this helps with your research, good luck.

I've had a 6.5 SAUM since 08. I love it for deer hunting. It's not hard on barrels either. If you go with the .081 freebore reamer 99% of hunting bullets I know of will work fine from the magazine. They have for me anyway. Mine is built on a r700 Short action with a fluted Bartlein 3b 1-8 finished at 26" with a greybull stock. Finished weight with scope is about 9.25lbs. Again perfect balance for me. It's also braked with a Holland radial baffle and I have a thread cap for it.

I mainly run 130 vlds with h1000 for hunting. Around 3160. It's capable of more especially with r26. That's just where it was most accurate. Brass was a pain to find for it in years past but now there are many options around. Even headstamped. Making your own from 300 or 7 saum brass is not hard. Plenty of threads and YouTube videos out there to walk you through it.

A 260 will work fine on a short action. As was said an Ackley will gain you a little more HP. There is nothing wrong with a 260 for a custom build. Just lacks some Hp compared to other SA options. 6.5x284 is also a very nice option that I like. If you go that route I'd stay long action and go with a 6.5x284 Norma reamer. Much better performance.

Any 6.5 cartridge I build would have the same barrel specs just because that's my preference. Only thing I would consider changing is going to 7.5 twist. More high bc long bullets coming out all the time that need more twist. 1-8 is a solid bet though.

Good luck. Build it right. Buy once cry once.

A 26 barrel would be of no gain in accuracy or velocity ? I realize it would be long with a break. This is my last buildso i wanna do it right. Looking at a Mcmillan A5. I am 53 and would like to get befpre my 63rd b day thpugh. I waited 5 mos fpr last stock from them

Just wrote with out quoting. Ive got a mcmillan at short action if youre looking. Brand new. Message me if youre looking its an adjustable and inletted for m5 metal

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.