Blaze Orange and Archery

Although "Orange Camo" is not legal in CO, during rifle season. It should be legal in the archery season, as no orange is required for archery hunting. If what we've always been told is correct, animals don't see colors that well, it may be an acceptable alternative.

Just because you can't shoot primitive weapons well enough to hunt ethically with does not mean no one can.
Practice, know your limits and they are no different than modern equipment other than the extra effort and woodsmanship skills it takes to close the distance.
The way a close weapons hunt should be.
That's my point. Most hunters do not practice at all. A box of 20 rounds will last them 20 years or more. Practicing with primitive weapons is even worse because they are more of a hassle. A special extended season just encourages these people to hunt primitive and wound a lot of poor animals. There should not be a separate season, if you want to use primitive instead of modern weapons, that's your choice. No special privileges.

Although "Orange Camo" is not legal in CO, during rifle season. It should be legal in the archery season, as no orange is required for archery hunting. If what we've always been told is correct, animals don't see colors that well, it may be an acceptable alternative.
The color "blue" is not a normal color in the woods.
It stands out to animals as safety orange is presumed to stand out to hunters.

One time we were out camping, not hunting. My work schedule was too busy and I had not hunted for a decade or so.
We were walking around, within a mile of the campsite. One "hunter" came out and started yelling at me. I was supposed to be wearing orange, and our children also so we wouldn't be shot.

I was raised and began shooting rifles at 4 years old. I was taught to always know what is your target, and what lies beyond it. I have never aimed a gun at anything I did not want to kill or hit.

I also used to think orange was not required, just ID your target before shooting. Then one day as a teenager hunting with dad, he yelled there's a deer, shoot it. It was running away from us across an open wheat field. I pulled up my rifle, centered my crosshairs on it and was about to squeeze the trigger. Something told me something was wrong and the tan deer was running away oddly. Turns out it was a hunter dressed head to foot in the safari tan hunting clothes running away. Looked exactly like the hind end of a deer running away. Had I been using iron sights, he probably would have taken my bullet that day, luckily the 3x scope was enough. Scared the living hello out of me because he initially looked like a deer even through the scope. So, I definitely feel everyone should be wearing Blaze orange.

I also used to think orange was not required, just ID your target before shooting. Then one day as a teenager hunting with dad, he yelled there's a deer, shoot it. It was running away from us across an open wheat field. I pulled up my rifle, centered my crosshairs on it and was about to squeeze the trigger. Something told me something was wrong and the tan deer was running away oddly. Turns out it was a hunter dressed head to foot in the safari tan hunting clothes running away. Looked exactly like the hind end of a deer running away. Had I been using iron sights, he probably would have taken my bullet that day, luckily the 3x scope was enough. Scared the living hello out of me because he initially looked like a deer even through the scope. So, I definitely feel everyone should be wearing Blaze orange.
But the key here is you nearly failed to identify your target and what's beyond it. Was your tag for a buck or a doe? So you're saying you were going to take a shot on a moving object without identifying not only the species, but the presence or absence or antlers. So would have hunter orange made it less likely that you would have made a negligent shot? Sure, but the key is you don't need hunter orange laws for everyone to be safe. You need responsibility and accountability.

What about the decoy hats? -- well besides being one of the dumbest ideas that is
Screenshot_20220524-142539_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Ml in colorado is open sights only-- this guy might catch some lead if he's not careful

But the key here is you nearly failed to identify your target and what's beyond it. Was your tag for a buck or a doe? So you're saying you were going to take a shot on a moving object without identifying not only the species, but the presence or absence or antlers. So would have hunter orange made it less likely that you would have made a negligent shot? Sure, but the key is you don't need hunter orange laws for everyone to be safe. You need responsibility and accountability.
Absolutely not true. I identified my target as a legal doe and what was beyond it. What I did was almost mis-identify because the colors he was wearing and the way the form moved was identical to a deer's movement. That is why orange is required and yes orange would have made a huge difference because deer I hunt are not colored bright orange. You completely missed the point and obviously think you are perfect and have never made a mistake in your life.

Last edited:
Gees, you sure made a big jump in your conclusion. In my opinion, he responded very much as anyone else would have…and he was able to determine it wasn't a deer AND did not take the shot. He was responsible and accountable.

Sorry if I came across as harsh. You did show responsibility and accountability because you did eventually correctly identify your target and didn't shoot. But you did say if you had had iron sights you would have shot a dude. I just can't get on board with blaming that on lack of orange laws.

I've put orange on me and my kids when we didn't legally need it for that reason. But I personally don't like the idea of mandatory orange laws.