Blaze Orange and Archery

Chadp82

This may be more proper for another area, so moderators please move if needed.

This didn't seem to gain traction but I thought it was an interesting topic in hunter safety. Blaze orange for archery was (or is) being considered for Colorado. I didn't see much after I heard of this earlier this year. There are a handful of articles that are similar and I didn't see much on this after the early part of the year.

I am curious as to what others think of this. I have personally had close encounters with game and other hunters stalking the same game during archery. I have had people with muzzleloader so close to me while I was stalking elk and it is uncomfortable. I can certainly see the pros/cons as being both an archery and firearm hunter.

Do states other than Colorado overlap seasons? This is intended to be a conversation on hunter safety and thoughts on the topic of orange and archery when seasons overlap.

This may be more proper for another area, so moderators please move if needed.

This didn't seem to gain traction but I thought it was an interesting topic in hunter safety. Blaze orange for archery was (or is) being considered for Colorado. I didn't see much after I heard of this earlier this year. There are a handful of articles that are similar and I didn't see much on this after the early part of the year.

I am curious as to what others think of this. I have personally had close encounters with game and other hunters stalking the same game during archery. I have had people with muzzleloader so close to me while I was stalking elk and it is uncomfortable. I can certainly see the pros/cons as being both an archery and firearm hunter.

Do states other than Colorado overlap seasons? This is intended to be a conversation on hunter safety and thoughts on the topic of orange and archery when seasons overlap.
IIRC, NM muzzleloader, and archery season overlap. MT does, too, as of the last season.

ADDED: Below is MT's MZ heritage season.

https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content/assets/fwp/hunt/muzzleloader-flyer-2021.pdf

Last edited:
IMHO
We are too eager to legislate after any unfortunate event. I don't think it should be legislated.
I, on the other hand, will not be going in any public hunting area during rifle season without wearing hunter orange/pink. But that would be my choice.

My opinion only.
There should be TWO only and not overlapping seasons. A archery season and a separate rifle season. Archery to include traditional and modern equipment. Rifle to include rifle and muzzleloader since there is not much difference today between the two if you consider scopes, engineered projectiles and smokeless MZ.

As for as blaze orange, I agree with it being used during rifle season, but not a fan of it during archery. In fact, there are some states like New Mexico who do not require blaze orange even during the rifle season.

If a season overlaps with a firearm season I do not have a problem with it. I was in an archery zone bow hunting in VA a few years back an upon walking out I had a guy aimed in on me because he thought I was a deer... didn't appreciate it at all. Do I think we need blaze orange as hunters... no, but that opinion doesn't account for all the special people out there.

I teach hunters ed in a crazy liberal controlled state similar to Colorado where only two counties (one huge human ant hill of people) control the entire state. We have over lapping seasons and if there is a modern firearm or "General Season" (PC Propaganda words) orange must be worn by all. To be clear hunters orange was introduced for no other reason than safety of other people due to poor firearm/hunting ethics. Hunter Dispersion had and has nothing to do with hunter orange though that is a current indoctrination tool used to push acceptance. What they fail to mention is there are many hunters who will actually utilize other hunters to find game and move in on other hunters they never would have seen. I have experienced these parasites (same kind that made us wear orange) wearing orange and not wearing it.

We have billions of pages of laws and regulations increasing at a exponential rate as society continues to try to regulate morality and it just flat cannot be done.

On public land- lots of people and they often use calls during bow/ml rut season-- its easy to stumble upon other hunters. But it's just negligence to shoot a human.

More than once I have stalked into an elk call and found it was another hunter, I've also walked into other hunters areas not seeing them right away-- but quite a few won't ever say a word. If another hunter enters my shooting area I always "notify" them where I am by calling out the words"hunter on you right ( or left)" -- I don't move, I just verbally notify so they realize another hunter is in the area-- they usually say "sorry" and leave the area. In colorado, hunters need to be aware of other people too that don't know its hunting season-- during spring turkey season I offer run into "day hikers" near trails and during fall season I'll often see people collecting pine nuts or hikers too.

But then again- if you can't obey the hunters safety 10 commandments , you shouldn't be holding a weapon at all.

Possible more training (though the amount and type of training rhey can/will offer won't cure Buck fever), other options would be to separate seasons or areas. Possibly some "fllagging" for bow hunters -- when I bow or turkey hunt I always wear blaze orange on my back . I also carry blaze orange and put it on once I have filled my tag and I'm bring the animal out to the truck.

NO matter what you do there will always be incidents because you can't fix stupid.

i kinda sit on the line about wearing orange or no orange ? i also wonder about hunters in a camo ground blind with no orange ribbon on it during the rifle season ? if it saves a life maybe there needs to be a solution ? don`t forget there is a case pending in Colorado about a bowhunter wearing camo in elk season that blew his bugle and got shot and died by a muzzle loader wearing orange . is the muzzle loader hunter guilty or is Colorado wrong for allowing these 2 seasons to overlap ? that will be a big factor in this court case ,i kinda lean to not guilty , but 5 years no hunting in America , he owes that family compete funeral expences and some penalties of with work hours , no jail time and Colorado needs to change the law /rule before fall 2022.

i kinda sit on the line about wearing orange or no orange ? i also wonder about hunters in a camo ground blind with no orange ribbon on it during the rifle season ? if it saves a life maybe there needs to be a solution ? don`t forget there is a case pending in Colorado about a bowhunter wearing camo in elk season that blew his bugle and got shot and died by a muzzle loader wearing orange . is the muzzle loader hunter guilty or is Colorado wrong for allowing these 2 seasons to overlap ? that will be a big factor in this court case ,i kinda lean to not guilty , but 5 years no hunting in America , he owes that family compete funeral expences and some penalties of with work hours , no jail time and Colorado needs to change the law /rule before fall 2022.
We only know what has been posted in the news. No matter the trial outcome, One family is mourning the loss of the loved one, and one hunter has to live with the fact of killing someone.
Firearm safety lessons come to mind when from my early years.
1) Identify the target you are shooting
2) Identify what is behind your target
If you are not sure of those two, you do not shoot!

As mentioned above, if I am in archery season and see another hunter I make sure it is known a hunter is there either verbally or I wave at them until they wave back in acknowledgment.

I typically avoid the muzzleloader overlap if I can and hunt before it. Those times I have been out during muzzleloader I place an orange cloth on my pack in case someone comes up behind me, and I have worn an orange hat while hiking if there is a large presence of muzzleloader hunters. I wear the hat into my calling spot and on the way out for my own safety in these cases also.

I am actually doing my first muzzleloader hunt this year if I draw. So this topic came to mind and the dialogue here is interesting to hear others thoughts

It seems they should be able to have two separate seasons even if they need to be a bit shorter.
I do not agree that Muzzle loader should be grouped in with Regular fire arms.
Rather I think more States should fallow Idaho's lead and limit the technology that can be legally use in such seasons (archery/muzzle loader) to help keep them a short (primitive) weapons hunt as they were originally intended to be.
Ex: no scopes allowed, projectile must be bore diameter, must use loose powder, and have at least a partially exposed cap.
No different really than keeping Crossbows out of archery seasons.
The photo is of my Son last season with his Pennsylvania long riffle side lock and 54 caliber patched round ball.

Attachments

• 20211205_113153.jpg
    20211205_113153.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 137