Blackpowder Long Range Hunting

Bud Meadows

I own a Knight DISC rifle, topped with a Leupold 3.5X10X40 Vari-X III. I usually shoot Barnes 250 grain Redhot saboted bullets, in front of two 50 grain pyrodex pellets. While I can shoot 2 inch groups zeroed at 100 yards, I've never tried any shots beyond 125 yards. Any long range BP hunters out there? Where could I find trajectory (bullet drop) tables for this combination??

a table for any black powder combination would have many variables mainly the temperature. shoot the gun every 50 yds and see how much it drops.i wouldn't zero it at 100 either.i printed mine 4" high at 100, was 8" low at 200,then figure what power to put the scope on for 250 and 300 using the point of the duplex.this worked well for me.

I would recommend using any one of the ballistic calculators, that is if you can find the BC of your bullet. I use the calculator on http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx
It should keep you on the paper, but don't be too confident with the numbers until you verify.

I really got into the long range smokeless muzzleloading this year with some impressive groups, for a muzzleloader, with several groups measuring less than 2 inches at 300-350 yards. I plan on getting a Kenton industries elevation turret for my 4.5-14 M1 leupold next year. Hopefully through the spring I will be able to extend my comfortable range to 400 yards.

I have shot my savage 10ml out to 500yrds. I have found that the drift is substantial for a guy use to shooting 300 win mags and 338 lapuas. With 43gr of IMR4759 and 250gr Hornady sst I get 3/4" groups a 100 yards and I amaze my friends when they hear the bullets long trip to the gong followed by DING. I have found that the easiest way to find out what kind of drop you are getting is by placing gongs at 100 yrd intervals and I paint lines on 2X4s every foot. I then put the 2X4 by the gong, check one the expected drop and start shooting. I about 2 hours one afternoon I had my answers. The wind drift has taken more time and bullets but experience cannot be overrated here.

I've got to admit if the wind is blowing, forget about hitting anything much farther than 200 yards with a muzzleloader. Although I can promise you that if I don't have the long range capability with my muzzleloader, opening morning a monster will come out at 350 yards with no cross wind. At any rate, it sure is fun to consistently hit something at long range with a muzzleloader.(well at least until the wind picks up)

6mm shooter - Just curious, what kind of velocity are you getting with the 43grains of imr4759.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got to admit if the wind is blowing, forget about hitting anything much farther than 200 yards with a muzzleloader. Although I can promise you that if I don't have the long range capability with my muzzleloader, opening morning a monster will come out at 350 yards with no cross wind. At any rate, it sure is fun to consistently hit something at long range with a muzzleloader.(well at least until the wind picks up)

6mm shooter - Just curious, what kind of velocity are you getting with the 43grains of imr4759.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like ya need to "swap over" and shoot one of these! Ya ain't had no fun.....till ya do!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulhernric800/detail?.dir=14c7&.dnm=88be.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulhernric800/detail?.dir=14c7&.dnm=2fd7.jpg&.src=ph

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Muzzleloaders are a pain to shoot accurately at longer ranges due to the larger groups. I would like to try a smokeless powder muzzle loader to see if I have better luck reaching out. There is a company called "dead center" and I believe you can buy the bullets from Cabelas. I bought some but have yet to try them. They claim to have much higher BC's than tradional ML bullets. I'll post results when I test.

Give it up! You may as well buy you some track shoes....and hunt with a spear!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can say that I've had much better luck with smokeless than with black powder replacements. The best thing is I can shoot the smokeless 20-25 times and wait as long as I want to clean it. If I do this with black powder or any other replacement powder, I've got a rust bucket in less than 2 days and the gun WILL NOT group.
My rifle will consistently group around 2 inches at 300 yards with a muzzle velocity of 2800fps using a 250 grain bullet. Unfortunately this kind of velocity is too much for the pure lead dead center bullets. I currently use sst, either way it is still basically a glorified pistol bullet.

I have confirmed kills at 210 and 305 with my omaga. 150gr Pyrodex with a 300gr Shockwave. Understand that the shooting conditions were perfect in the early smoke pole season here in PA.

A lot of any success comes with practice. We shoot all year long but really step it up a month before season. I'm sure most would agree that it is a blast to go to the range with multiple pieces to fire.

bullet slection is key to Long range ML shooting. most bullets will get you there but there performance at LR is very poor! That is why Richard Graves and I are working on the most extensive line of sabot Muzzleloader bullets available! we will be lanuching this line of custom bullets as soon as testing is complete. there will be a special line of LR bullets featuring the Rebated Boattail in any size you wish from 250gr.- 600 gr. There will be more info to come on this new line of wildcats!just wanting to give you all a heads up.

Bud, I took this antelope in WY this year at what I thought was 211 yards. What I did was, range a tree that he was near which was 211, yet he was standing just beyond the tree on the next hillside. When we got to him, I ranged the truck and it was actually 235. I'm using 3 "sticks" of American Pioneer powder which grouped substantially better than any of the pyrodex, either loose or pellets. The bullet is the new Barnes Boat tail ultra slam 285. They may call it the Spit Fire. Anyway, I had practiced to 200 yards for several weeks before our trip. We shot for 4 hours on Saturday before out season opened. I noticed that my bullets were hitting about 2" higher in WY vs. Ohio at 200 yards.

I dumped the antelope where he stood. If I knew how to upload a video, I'd post it. We have all 3 hunts on tape.

Here he is, and this is the longest shot I've ever made with a ML. Seeing the shotplacement right in the shoulder boosted my confidence even more. I would certainly take a 250-275 yard shot with my Knight disc extreme.

5509aca4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.