BL-C (2) in .308 Win - What the heck???

Cholla

I am trying to work up a load for my 308 using Barnes 130 TSX. The manual from Barnes says a max charge of 56 grains. No way that will fit! I went to Hodgdon's website and they say 51 grains. That goes to the rim of the case and I have to tap the case to get it to settle enough to fit a bullet in. Something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else have this issue?

1716602998494.png

Personally, I have questioned their data before, I pointed out that they were showing same COAL for Tipped and not tipped and same charge, same velocity. They said they were right, and I stopped using their data. Just look at the page you posted. The show shorter COAL for tipped, which is longer. I am always cautious with their data. Jut me

I am trying to work up a load for my 308 using Barnes 130 TSX. The manual from Barnes says a max charge of 56 grains. No way that will fit! I went to Hodgdon's website and they say 51 grains. That goes to the rim of the case and I have to tap the case to get it to settle enough to fit a bullet in. Something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else have this issue?

View attachment 574299
A friend had this very issue with 44 magnum. I dont recall the powder, either H-110 or N-110, but he could not get the Barnes charge into the case. He called them and their "tech" claimed there was no issues with their data.

Compressed charges for some cases and powders are not unusual. That is what drop tubes and various vibrators are for, i.e electric tooth brush, electric razor, top of brass vibrating polisher, etc, etc. You will notice there are 7 compressed (c) charges on that data page.

Always start at the lower charge and work up.

Compressed charges for some cases and powders are not unusual. That is what drop tubes and various vibrators are for, i.e electric tooth brush, electric razor, top of brass vibrating polisher, etc, etc. You will notice there are 7 compressed (c) charges on that data page.

The problem is…when you're loading a ladder, the upper charges don't even fit in the case. Their data is whack.

Compressed charges for some cases and powders are not unusual. That is what drop tubes and various vibrators are for, i.e electric tooth brush, electric razor, top of brass vibrating polisher, etc, etc.

It could be just me, but if I needed to use a vibrating device to fit the powder in a case, I would choose a different powder. The 308win has so many powder options.

Hmm, seems like a lot of guys have never loaded or understand compressed charge reloading? Many cases with certain powders require compression to reach best potential. Some more than others, but it is no big deal. There are numerous sections in various reloading manuals, Youtube vids, magazines, etc, etc on compression reloading.

However, if one is not comfortable with learning those techniques, one can always use a powder that does not require it.

When I load a 280gr LRX into an 8.6BLK case with the Amp press I can see when that long a** bullet hits the powder (that's well below the start of the shoulder) on the graph. I call that a squished load :D and it's one of the best loads I've found for that cartridge.

View attachment 574299
There is a five grain difference between the two. I just wonder what brass they used and what Brass you are using because that can change the internal volume of a case.

Recent Posts