Bipod ?

CPerkins

I tried a Harris Bipod for the first time last year. I haven't shot using very much , but it seems to hit very close to where the gun was sighted without it. Here's my question. I have the taller version for field use. If I bought the bench rest version to use at the range and switched to the other one to hunt, would the zero be affected.

Zero should not be affected. However, stability may be. The further from the ground the less stable. Its just the way it is. But for the 'one' shot it'll do, usually.

However, I seem to have noticed the snipers only use the close to the ground bipods. There must be a reason for that.

[ QUOTE ]

However, I seem to have noticed the snipers only use the close to the ground bipods. There must be a reason for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd be using the short/close to the ground/be a smaller target bipods too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif if I was a potential target.

Don

Like AJ said. Used for low profile, smaller target.

If your not a sniper, I use the Stoney Point tripod in the field for coyote hunting when prone isn't very successful way to hunt. I have found the three legs add a lot to the stability. Use the short Harris at the range, and sometimes in the field for PD shooting and such.

I use the short one because I do a lot of up and down shooting. The bipod is not worth a crap when it is to tall to shoot down hill. I used to use the taller ones now I only use the short ones. I found out that you can always put something under the legs if you are shooting up hill. Never had a problem shooting uphill unless you are on a flat at the base of the hill. If you are on the hill with the animal I have never had a problem with the short bipod.

For me, I have always had to consider the terrain that I want to shoot from in setting up for the bipod. I use the bipod most often, when I have explored the area before, picked my firing points which are best suited to the terrain/bipod, and made a range card in advance with my field of fire and lazer checked distances. I use a spiral ring pocket notebook with heavy paper pages to make my range cards, then when I go back into the area, everything can be reviewed and I am already working the shooting positions previously identified. Draw your range card up the same way you would when making a snipers range card with landmarks, key trees, trails etc, with lazar ranged distances to key objects noted. This makes everything VERY simple and you have your dope, from the different shooting spots best for bipod. Just some thoughts on use of the bipod etc. Works well for me.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.