Bipod, Bags or Front Rest - what's best for Hunting Rifle Load Development?

HuntingBronco

I have a feeling some of my rifles are finicky in terms of how they shoot depending on what I am using to steady them and myself for bench work and load development. BR guys spend a small fortune on rest apparatus, and as far as I can tell - pursue nearly free recoil with bag wax and what not. Seems easy to get sucked in - some of my lightweight rifles really don't like my technique with a bipod....so they end up on a bag with free hand pressure on the fore end....

So many choices - what are you all doing?

I have a feeling some of my rifles are finicky in terms of how they shoot depending on what I am using to steady them and myself for bench work and load development. BR guys spend a small fortune on rest apparatus, and as far as I can tell - pursue nearly free recoil with bag wax and what not. Seems easy to get sucked in - some of my lightweight rifles really don't like my technique with a bipod....so they end up on a bag with free hand pressure on the fore end....

So many choices - what are you all doing?
Duplicate what you'll be using in the field that is what counts what good is it to develop a good load then use a totally different technique in the field I'm sure the results will change as well

For load development, I use a Caldwell Rock BR front rest and a big homemade rear sand bag. This allows me to get very steady and gives me good repeatability and confidence.

Duplicate what you'll be using in the field that is what counts what good is it to develop a good load then use a totally different technique in the field I'm sure the results will change as well
This. If your going to make your long shots off a bipod, work the load up that way, so you and the gun are use to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.