Binoculars- anything worth while around $500?

Schnyd112

i have a very old pair of Pentax 8x42 binoculars. They are not good and I want to upgrade. At this point I can just barely get the two sides to match up end ended up using just one eye for most of my antelope hunt. I really like the Leica trinovid but those are at the very top of my price range at around $1000.

Is there anything worth my time in the $500 range? Even the vortex stuff i see on the shelf is up around $1000 and if I am going to spend that money I would prefer the Leica over Zeiss conquest or vortex razors.

Let me know what you guys use.

Have you looked at the Meopta Meopro or the Athlon Cronus?

I have not, at least not in person. Not really anywhere here where I can fondle them.

I wasn't overly impressed with the early athlon scopes but I have never seen their binos. I have looked through some higher class meopta binos, 12 or 15x, but not anything small. They are great when on a tripod but I have a spotting scope for the longer distances. I need something for scanning and sneaking.

You are on my short list to order from once I make a decision. Are the 8x leicas worth the cost or should I go 10x if I am paying that much?

My vote is for the Meopta, vipers. Both really good for the $$.
Check out the classifieds. There are some good deals there now. Hint hint

The Cabelas Euro models are rebranded Meopta binos and you can find them at about the $500 mark sometimes. I've been really impressed with them when compared to other binos in the same price range.

I am most likely going with the meopro 8x42s. Meant to give cameraland a call today but got caught up in the office and now it's kinda late.

I picked up some sightron S3s in 10x42 on GB for under 200 new. List in the 440 range. Id easily put them against anything in the 500 range.

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.