Big score today

I am old enough to remember during the 1973 Arab oil embargo people said they would stop buying gas when it hit one dollar a gallon lol. Reloading supply shortage will pass to,i pick up what i can when i can and just put up with the price,what else can you do,besides complain about it which won't help any just **** you off more.Oh well happy trails folks

In my locale, the '73 embargo caused gas prices to climb to the unbelievable 50 cent mark, for prior, we were paying about 33 cents/gal. Later in 1978, gas spiked higher, and I recall a conversation with my brother about gas going to the unheard of mark of $1/gal. At the time, it was costing about 80-88 cents, but he said almost exactly what you recall, "People will not pay $1. It will never go that high." LOL.

As for reloading and shooting supplies, my bad habit of purchasing clearance, going out of business, after season, yard, and estate sales through the decades is returning LARGE dividends. It's a nice feeling looking through the many storage racks and seeing all the 1# powder cans marked $5-$10 and 8# marked $40-$75, jacketed rifle and pistol bullets with $3-$5/box, primers at $50/5k, boxes of 500 lead pistol bullets at $12-$17 box, and so on and so forth.

And my wife always questioned why I kept purchasing these things? :cool:

And my wife always questioned why I kept purchasing these things? :cool:

Lol, I got a few pounds of H4350 and RL16 a couple months ago, 1000 Large Rifle and 1000 Magnum Rifle (was down to about 2,000 of each), then 5 lbs of RL23, and just ordered 5lbs of RL17 and she asked why all that? I answered, have we ever been short on any of our reloading supplies? She answered: Nope and I guess we won't be, and I said exactly. Happy Shooting

We have a tire shop that sells a lot of powder and bullets to the locals, they have most everything in powder, but no Viht N570, however I did get some 1 pounders, no 8's, at Midsouth this week.

Seriously $470? Dang, regardless how bad I need some powder, would never pay that. I'll just go back to good ol' IMR-4350 and 7828.

That's a new level if stu@%&. The reason those sellers exist is because someone will actually pay those prices.
Or is it the other way around?

I wish I could believe you brother. IMO political and social unrest is going to continue for years to come and so will ammo and reloading component shortages.
It's happened before and it'll happen again. Just like it did when Newtown took place and all the other ones as well. Not going to worry myself. Powder and Ammo companies will start pumping out more. Just like oil companies.

Good score! I went to local gun shop yesterday to pick up a cleaning rod and there was a good amount of large rifle primers, Federal, Winchester and CCI, but zero small rifle primers.

Quite a good supply of 1# powders including
H-4350, H-1000 and RL-26, but high prices. I bought 5# of IMR-8208 for grandson's 6.5 grendel @ $32 a pound.

You definitely need to buy a lottery ticket if you found 8208XBR.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.