Big Horn Mountains

timmymic

I was invited out to the Big Horn Mountains in WY by my wifes family and I was just looking for some input on what to hunt... what tags are easy to get, what is species are decent sized? Thank you

I was invited out to the Big Horn Mountains in WY by my wifes family and I was just looking for some input on what to hunt... what tags are easy to get, what is species are decent sized? Thank you
I live at the foot of the big horns, you basically have s things to choose from elk and deer. You wont draw elk without several points more than likely. id say ur best bet is trying to get a general deer tag. There arent a ton of deer up there but they are there. Trophy quality isnt all that high although there are a few good ones up there.

Moose is one of the premier species in the Bighorns. Used to be a lot in the Jackson area prior to the wolves. Very few now. Some of the best in the state are in the Bighorns. I have 16 pref points [1/yr applied] and still haven't drawn there. Using the Wy Game and Fish web site it shows that area 1 had 198 aps for 1 tag. None for area 34 or 42 for a bull. Interestingly there was 1 tag for a cow moose in 34 for a non-resident. No applicants. That could be one you could draw. That is a cow without a calf at side. Go to the WY game and fish web site. Hunting section. Draw demand index. Then you can look at the different areas and see how many tags there are and how many applied for them. Interesting how many apply for an area that has no tag available.... Good luck. Bruce

Might be a good idea to actually talk to the inlawslightbulb
With a little inside help filling a goat or mulie tag wouldnt be all that hard....Filling it with a dandy is a whole different story.

First time applicants have the same chance as the max points people.
Getting a moose license in the Big Horns is high odds. Check out the draw odds on the G&F web site.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.