big hurrah to folks in rural Wyoming / South Dakota

pdog shooter

Wanted to give a big hurrah to folks in rural Wyoming / South Dakota. Years ago I was looking for a west vacation that involved shooting of some kind. At that time I couldn't afford the deer or elk hunts so shooting prairie dogs fit the ticket. Set out driving and ended up in small town Wyoming near the black hills. Rented a room from the nicest folks ever and went about trying to figure out p dog shooting. Went by all the gov agencies, ag, forestry, BLM they were all right there in a row. What a bureaucratic mess, no help at all. Left feeling a little discouraged, 1800 miles with nothing to do. Ended up at the feed and seed, I fit right in with the ranchers/ farmers. Well that day I was shooting p dogs off a landing strip and that evening eating steaks at a big BBQ, the big girl they were trying to hook me up with is another story. That week I also shot from a 15000 acre ranch, more dogs than you can imagine. Went 4 years in a row. Reminded me so much of how people behaved in this part of GA, 50 years ago. The teenagers at the convenience store smiled and were nice. Grocery store the same. Try to find that in GA. Never been there in winter but I can tell you, when there is no more reason for me to be in GA you may have an "asylum seeker".

Nice write up pdog! That is our experience in SD and NM as well. First rancher in SD referred us to half a dozen more. In NM, we really got attached to the locals in the coffee/steak house - invited to BBQs and taken scouting. Even the motel owner had a ranch he wanted us to shoot.

Being from Wyoming, that's what I remember. Unfortunately, even parts of Idaho have lost that.