BEYOND BELIEF, Best of the West Video

dawaba

I came upon this interesting DVD hosted by John Burns in which some impressively long shots on big game and coyotes were made. Unfortunately, nothing was said in the video regarding calibers, rifles, scopes etc. Does anyone know the skinny on the rigs used? I was especially impressed by the adjustable turrets on the scope.....what kind?

John used to hang around here some, but I haven't seen him in a while. Google "best of the west long range hunting" and you'll find his homepage.

Good video. It is what got me interested in this long range game.

dawaba,
Check out
http://www.thebestofthewest.net/index.html
John Burns intentionaly left out the technical data in the original beyond belief dvd. His main purpose was to show you what is possible if you will put in the time and aquire the proper equipment (althrough he dont mention what the proper equipment is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). His new DVD covers all the technical data. My beyond beleif dvd came last week and I was very impressed with it, Mr. Burns is a excellent host and a terrific shot. I do look forward to purchasing the set when funds become availiable.

Dawaba,
As you said it is an excellent movie, with some awesome shots. The rig John Burns is using is a modified 7mm, there it some info on his website about the gun although it doesnt go into much detail. An outfitter I have personally hunted with is on there, John Porter of Morning Creek Outfitters. He is a great guide in those mountains NW of Cody, and an even better shot. The last hunt I was on with him, my dad shot a cow elk @ 868yds, another fellow @ 767yds, and myself(young pup at the time) 350 yds. Last year my dad was out there with his brother when he shot one at 1002 yds. It's crazy but with the right equipment, knowledge and practice all this is possible. My dad is heading back out in December with them again, I'll keep you posted. I know they're planning to try some more 1k shots.
BTW the new video is out but pretty $$$ it deals more with equipment and technique and so on, so save some up and get it when you can. Good Luck!

I'll fill in a few of the blanks:
He was using a 7 STW with 180 gr Bergers and a 22-243 with 77-80gr Bergers and MKs.
The scope knobs are from Kenton Industries.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.