Best way to pull bullets without damaging them?

Hornady Cam lock bullet puller. under $30.00 @ Midway USA, but you have to buy collets.
Very fast, no damage, no mess.

Attachments

• Cam lock puller.jpg
    Cam lock puller.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 99
Any brand of bullet puller that squeezes in on the bullet (collet types) reduces the diameter of the bullet where it is gripped. Lead core bullets will not spring back. I don't use monolithic bullets, but suspect that they will be less damaged by the collet. I always segregate pulled bullets from new ones and use them for initial scope zero, and other uses where best accuracy is not critical. -Ed

I as well do not use pulled bullets for precision work. However, I did shoot a group of pulled 338 bullets at 100 yards and found the difference negligible for short distances. I wouldn't shoot them at long range. The inertial puller has the advantage there.

RCBS Collet is my go to. Works very well. Have pulled and then shot those and accuracy was the same.
Mine as well the Hornady chipped when you catch the shell case as it is hard to see the bullet. Hornady is much harder to use well. Rcbs works great. Rcbs use thicker collet lips and won't chip as Hornady does I am sure others have had the same experience. You also using the press to pull bullets. Most of the time when I have to pull bullets they end up inn plinking bin anyway.

Last edited:
I like the Hornady over RCBS for the clamping speed, you can pull them faster than the RCBS. they both work well with no damage - if you have a problem pulling just seat them a little deeper to break the seal - they both work much better and faster than the hammer type
I have both, agree completely with you. Hornady much faster.

Used the Grip n Pull on 400+ 22-250, hardly a mark. Used it on a couple of 7mm and .30 cal and left a mark on all. My RCBS collets are about the same. The hammers are a pain.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.