best way to clean fowling --

i am working on an older savage with a lightweight barrel-- in 7mm mag.
Don't know it's history. when I look into the muzzle with a lite aiming crossways--- I can see a white looking residue that looks like its in the grooves. Looks all most like leading--- but I don't see how that could be.
I have cleaned it with regular hoppe's and then wit Iosso non imbeding paste. That seemed to help- but I can still see some. Did not see any green residue on my patches. I have heard of people using CLR or lime away for attacking difficult copper deposits. Though some people think it is not safe to use. (it's some kind of acidic mixture)

I kind of don't want there to be much fowling in there which could raise pressures. No way to know how many rounds through this gun or what kind they were----

Suggestions ?
You have everything you need to get your bore bright and shiny clean. As others have said, put the iosso paste on a brush and scrub 30 times. Check the bore, if not bright and shiny repeat the process until it is clean. Don't settle for partially clean, keep going until it is clean. I flush with rubbing alcohol and then put a final scrub of Lockeze.

Some folks use chemicals to clean and others use mechanical methods. It just makes sense to me to use mechanical methods. Chemicals just seem like they could damage my barrel by pitting or corrosion, not to mention just having them around and handling them.

Check out how the professionals clean there bore…
Brian Litz, Applied ballistics… mechanical cleaning
Speedy, long time benchrest champion… mechanical cleaning (invented JB Bore Paste)
Eric Cortina….

i am working on an older savage with a lightweight barrel-- in 7mm mag.
Don't know it's history. when I look into the muzzle with a lite aiming crossways--- I can see a white looking residue that looks like its in the grooves. Looks all most like leading--- but I don't see how that could be.
I have cleaned it with regular hoppe's and then wit Iosso non imbeding paste. That seemed to help- but I can still see some. Did not see any green residue on my patches. I have heard of people using CLR or lime away for attacking difficult copper deposits. Though some people think it is not safe to use. (it's some kind of acidic mixture)

I kind of don't want there to be much fowling in there which could raise pressures. No way to know how many rounds through this gun or what kind they were----

Suggestions ?
I wouldn't want too many ducks or geese in my barrel, either. Or copper fouling.

Have you shot it yet? I would do a normal cleaning and shoot it. Forget what you see in the bore until you shoot it. If it doesnt shoot after a normal cleaning then you can get extreme with it. But again this is not a custom lapped barrel. It's a factory savage that prob looks like it was rifled with a mil file lol. Might save you a lot of trouble for nothing.

Sweet's 7.62 will NOT etch the bore.
Now this is the internet and I am only one person. The hello it wont!!! I have an A Bolt that requires a jack hammer to get the copper out after years ago I let Sweets sit and get re soaked all day long. Just normal fouling before that. I will use it now on guns who have huge amount of copper. I just dry patch, re-brush with solvent, about every 10 minutes or so.