Best tripod for hunting

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
I recently purchased a 20-60x80 spotting scope and I would like some recommendations on a solid tripod that won't break the bank. I know that sounds like an oxymoron as you always get what you pay for. ;) My budget is up to $200.

The scope will have 2 roles. First is on the range, second for hunting. I would like to use it while sitting so a tall tripod is not necessary. At this time weight is not a big issue as I use a 4 wheeler to get to my spots but don't want something so heavy as I can't pack it around comfortably on future hunts. The scope has a straight eyepiece.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I was recently in your same situation. Needed a tripod that would be mostly lugged around in a padded bag on four wheeler or in my truck back seat. I wound up with a Manfrotto 055 XPRO3 aluminum legs and a 501 fluid video head. While I know this set-up doesn't fit your budget, I have to applaud it's incredible craftsmanship. I think I paid $400 with a $40 mail in rebate so the total came to around $360. Please forgive me if $160 over budget is not worth talking about.
The legs are very strong and sturdy. Something I had to see to believe. Thankfully I went to a high end camera store and got to see things in person before purchasing. I would have made an uninformed choice had I not.
Once I was there, I would have pursued carbon fiber legs but all they really offered was a pound less weight for twice the price. Folks say they reduce vibration but I don't see where if an aluminum base is vibrating that a carbon fiber would have solved all the issues. Something that's causing a quality tripod to transfer vibration to the glass will make anything shake no matter what material it is. Common causes of shake are wind or an unsteady ground such as a fishing dock or pier wobbling in wave action and from people's footsteps.

Not only are the legs strong, but very versatile and user friendly. The flip locks are a cinch, you won't want twist locks if you move around much at all. Another major selling point to me was the feature to extend the center piece all the way up and then flip it 90° to the side. This allows me to sit in a box blind with the tripod off to the side and not in front of me, yet the scope is still right in front of me for easy glassing. If I want to raise my gun, I simply twist the tripod and the scope is rotated away from me so the shooting rest is clear now. Something to think about if you hunt from box blinds.

But the head is what set the whole deal together for me. That thing can handle up to an 11 pound camera. It will pan/tilt with the greatest of ease and stop on a dime and STAY THERE when you let go. No having to loosen and retighten or anything like that. I say if anything, don't skimp on the head. My spotting scope was nearly useless when I was trying to use it on my wife's plastic tripod and cheapo ball head that came as a freebie with the purchase of a Canon DSLR.

Still before visiting the Houston Camera Exchange, I called and spoke with B&H Photo for recommendation a lot as well. If I ever have a chance to use my scope in Alaska or New Mexico on some extravagant multi-day hiking hunts I will pursue a lighter tripod. I was recommended from B&H to look a Sirui T-1205X 5-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod for a quality tripod which is a tad under 2 pounds. That will pack around much easier.

I've tested lots of tripods. Slik tripods and heads really stand out for hunting applications. The unique design of the Slik body gives these tripods low weight and good stability in wind. The SH-707E head is one of the best available for spotting. Functionally, it's similar to the Jim White head. If you don't need to spot from a standing position, I recommend these models:

Aluminum Slik Pro 340 EZ (with SH-707E head) - $105. The quality of this tripod is outstanding.

Carbon fiber Slik Pro 624 CF, bundled with SH-707E head - $270. This model is stiffer than an aluminum tripod.

http://www.highpoweroptics.com/slik...h707e-tiltpan-head-611615-618707-p-24658.html

WOW Thanks for all of the great responses!
I'm looking at some of the suggestions now. I have a trip planned to San Francisco next week and am planning to hit a lot of the stores there to check out tripods and prices. Sometimes you can haggle and get a great deal.

WOW Thanks for all of the great responses!
I'm looking at some of the suggestions now. I have a trip planned to San Francisco next week and am planning to hit a lot of the stores there to check out tripods and prices. Sometimes you can haggle and get a great deal.

This is true. At the camera store I visited I asked about price match and current internet sales for some of the tripods they had on hand. It didn't hurt to ask. I believe between those questions and me acting astounded that a CF tripod is generally 2X the price of an aluminum one is why they offered me a tax free + 5% discount on any CF tripod of my choice. We're talking brand new 2014 models. (walked out with an aluminum one anyways though)

Don't pass up the used rack or snarl at 2013 models for any reason. Still lots of good quality there and I have to imagine even more room to haggle.

Though Manfroto might be higher "quality", for the money Slik is hard to beat. I have two different sizes and use them often, both spotting and with a 15+ lb rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.