Best spotting scope under 500

tdluke90

Hey guys

I'm going on a elk hunt in northern NM and am looking for the best spotting scope I can pick up for around 500 or less. If you have one you particularly liked or disliked let me know.

Thanks

You can sometimes find the Nikon Fieldscope III on Ebay. They are no longer made by Nikon but they are a very good value. They have a very good reputation for clarity in the bird watching world.

The Leupold SX-1 Ventana has excellent optics and the plastic parts are more durable than on Nikon scopes.

At one of the ranges I go to the owner bought both Nikon Prostaff and Leupold SX-1 spotting scopes and placed them behind the firing line. After a couple years if use, the difference in build quality was clear. The a Leupold scopes held up without any issues. The plastic and rubber parts on the Nikon base and eyepiece were not durable. The base broke off and the rotating eye relief adjustment piece deformed in the heat.

I picked up a 1970's vintage bushnell spacemaster from a local gunshop for $125 dollars. It came with a fairly good tabletop tripod. It has the green crinkle paint interchangeable eyepieces and I believe it has a magnesium body. It is pretty amazing glass for the $$$ spent. There are usually a few on ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.