Best spotter for Alaska and Western U.S.

colohunter

Been looking for the holy grail of spotters for a while. Planning on going with Swaro. Buying only one for the next 10 years so I want to get it right. Couple of questions, is a reticle a must have and if you own an angled spotter, does your neck get tired of looking down or is it easier? Thanks,

I really enjoy the Hensoldt Spotter 60 and Spotter 45. They were on closeout at Eurooptic last time I looked. Angled eye pieces are best for some applications, straight for others. If you have a person that will do the job, consider how they'll be positioned: prone, standing, seated, on knees. When the targets are made out of meat, I prefer a reticle. It makes it a lot easier for my spotter to guide me in to critters that are hiding around bushes and trees.

I bought the Swarovski angled with the reticle and couldn't be happier. If you were just using it for long range hunting you could save quite a bit and not get the reticle. I bought the mil reticle because I mainly wanted it for a spotter for target shooting where it's hard to spot misses through the riflescope.

I have had the Swarovski 65 stm straight and the Leica apo 65 straight. I like my Leica a lot better. One thing about the straight you can go from binos to spotter on your tripod with out much readjustment. That's kind of important if you have a short window.

I personally like the angle ones. Seems to be easier on my neck. But the straight are probably better in some instances. One place I think the straight would be better would be mounting to your pickup window. Don't over look the kowa 883. They aren't to shabby. Good luck with your decision.

Angled is the way to go. I feel like its easier to get comfortable behind, target acquisition is a little difficult at first but after some practice it becomes second nature.

This is right up my alley. I have an obsession with spotters. ZEISS, Leica, Swaro, Meopta, Kowa, Maven and the list goes on. Owned them all.

Angled all day.
And in order and IMO, based off resolution first, light transmission from low end to top second, and all the other goober bird terms we like to use (fringing, chromatic aberration, etc…..)

Kowa
Swaro
Leica
Meopta
Zeiss

Angled if your looking up most of the time. Straight if your looking down into basins, can be nice when backpacking. I've switched all mine to angled swaro. Long sessions= less neck strain and fatigue.

I personally like the angle ones. Seems to be easier on my neck. But the straight are probably better in some instances. One place I think the straight would be better would be mounting to your pickup window. Don't over look the kowa 883. They aren't to shabby. Good luck with your decision.
I actually prefer the angled when on a window mount because I just rotate the scope so I can look more forward and have it pointed out the window.

No words needed.
20210212_100618.jpg

Recent Posts