Best range to test bullet stability

Iclimb

I want to run some 180 berger bullets through my 7mag long-range hunter, to check for stability and I was wondering at what range minimum do I need to get out to check it? I checked it on a stability calculator and my altitude 4500 to 8000 feet it shows it as being moderately stable anyone else shooting them an LRH 9 1/4 twist?

When I use the twist calculator, I check for worse case altitude and temp. The lower the altitude and/or temp, the less stable the bullet. A stability factor of 1.1 or better should be stable enough for flight through the air and paper punching. A stability factor of 1.5 is more ideal and recommended for terminal performance stability inside 500 yds.. So it's possible to have a bullet that appears stable when target shooting that might have terminal performance issues inside about 500 yds. The farther down range you get, the more stable the bullet becomes. If your bullets are making nice round holes @ 500 yds, they should be stabilizing OK.

Looking to get 800 to 900 yds. I'll run the calculations again I can't remember what it was coming up with. I would have thought it would get less stable the farther I got.... Learn something everyday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.