BEST POWDER FOR 243 WIN and 105 VLD

Methow Packer

I've been working on this load development for a while. Only able to achieve 1/2 moa generally. I'm using right now RE26 and RE23. Seating depth from .003 to .025. others might suggest H4831SC but I've been looking for 3000 FPS and up. Am I on the right track? Too slow a powder? Suggestions please. Semi custom rifle w/ 26" Brux 8" twist

I haven't shot a 105 grain bullet in a 243Win but have shot 100 grain and IMR4350 is pretty hard to beat in that cartridge. I had an off the shelf Ruger Allweather that would put 100 grain flat base Corelokts into a 5 shot 100 yd group that was too small to measure loaded with that powder, but the muzzle velocity was only 2975.

I ran into the same conundrum a couple years ago then I stumbled into Norma MRP and never looked back.

I use H1000...gets a 105gr to 3000fps in a 26" barrel. H4831sc will get you there too.

Who knows these day what powder is the best with anything. I looked at the new Hodgdon annual manual the other day and they are coming out with new powders so quickly you can't keep up. I would check out this new manual you might find a powder that will turn that 243 Win into a 240 Weatherby with these new powders.

Is the gun capable of better than .5 m.o.a., it may or may not. I had good luck with RL26 and 107 sierra's. Most "semi" custom guns only guarantee .5 m.o.a. I guess its up to you how many powders, bullets, primers, different cases, you are willing to try. It may or may not get better.

Is the gun capable of better than .5 m.o.a., it may or may not. I had good luck with RL26 and 107 sierra's. Most "semi" custom guns only guarantee .5 m.o.a. I guess its up to you how many powders, bullets, primers, different cases, you are willing to try. It may or may not get better.
Good point. I've shot better groups using some other powders but not consistent. So I sent the rifle to a smith to blue print and rebed the action. iT's a Kimber action with a Brux 8" twist barrel and match type chamber. I know Kimbers aren't the most desirable actions out there but I'm having really good success with them in other calibers as long as I do the custom work to them. They seem to be M70 clones with some added features. Just got it back and starting load development over. Hoping for more consistent grouping. RE26 works well for me in my 270WSM and 30 Nosler so I thought I'd give it a try. Interesting point too is I've asked this question on other forums and the latest findings seem to be H4831SC, imr7828ssc, and H1000. To me one of the fun parts of shooting is load development.

Good point. I've shot better groups using some other powders but not consistent. So I sent the rifle to a smith to blue print and rebed the action. iT's a Kimber action with a Brux 8" twist barrel and match type chamber. I know Kimbers aren't the most desirable actions out there but I'm having really good success with them in other calibers as long as I do the custom work to them. They seem to be M70 clones with some added features. Just got it back and starting load development over. Hoping for more consistent grouping. RE26 works well for me in my 270WSM and 30 Nosler so I thought I'd give it a try. Interesting point too is I've asked this question on other forums and the latest findings seem to be H4831SC, imr7828ssc, and H1000. To me one of the fun parts of shooting is load development.

I've used all three of those powders and they were all OK. I got 3000fps+ from all three. In my rifle H1000 shot the best and then H4831sc followed by 7828ssc. Even the 7828ssc was way under MOA.

Every gun is different so it maybe worth a try. H1000 is my go to powder in a 30 nosler with the Berger 210's

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.