best non resident affordable tag / game states

Washington State, Over the counter, no draw. $495 Non resident. Two completely different types of hunting, you must choose East or West, Rifle/Bow/Muzzleloader Methodologies and regions don't cross over.

West you have mixed opportunities, Roosevelts on the coast in thick thick thick wet brush. On the west Slope of the Cascades (East of I-5) you have Rocky Mountain elk and more traditional high country hunting. East slope of the Cascades and eastern Washington is High Desert and hard to find good access so hunting is restricted to certain areas that get a high amount of traffic (Manastash ridge etc...).

The Roosevelt hunt is interesting but don't plan on making long range shots! well, sometimes you can if the elk are in an adjacent clearcut... but that's rare during daylight.

I have been looking into this also. I lived in Oregon for over 30 years and now that I live out of state, there is no way I would apply for a tag there. You have to purchase a non-resident license before you can apply for a tag. None of the costs or fees are refundable and it is very hard to get drawn, Most of the open areas where you can hunt are spike only and a long season in Oregon is 10 days with 7 being the norm.

I have been looking at Wyoming and they seem to be about the best. I wanted to go to Montana but they almost doubled their license costs last year. In Wyoming the price is fair and if you don't get drawn they refund everything but $14.50. The success rate is very high, the seasons are much longer, usually 30 days or more and the people in Wyoming are very friendly. I have thought of getting a guide but I have a lot of elk hunting buddies and we are set up with a couple of wall tents to sleep in and small wall tent for the kitchen, We just need to find a good area and hunt it a few year s and learn it. Also, it is pretty easy to buy a cow tag after the draws. A cow tag in Oregon is a draw. One thing about Wyoming that you need to be aware of is, as a non-resident you need to put in for your draw in January, They allocate a certain amount of tags for out of staters and those are drawn first. it is my understanding that you will know if you got your pick before the end of February. Good luck and happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.