16 points non resident

muleman1953

Any thoughts if I could or should draw this year with 16 PP? Would you keep building points? 63 years old now, still in good shape, have mules, looking for 370 plus bull, maybe archery, prefer rifle with long range capabilities. Appreciate your thoughts & knowledge as this would be my one and only tag for Utah.
Wayne

370" is a lofty goal for any unit in the state. With that being said the top units require more than 16 points for sure. Boulder is the one we have been hunting recently, and my father is poised to draw it with 20 points this year. I would advise you against the archery hunt with that many points, as the dates are not very good as far as rutting activity goes. For a long range rifle hunt with mules, I can't think of a better unit to draw than the bookcliffs roadless early rifle. I drew this hunt in 2012 and killed a 350" bull. There are bigger bulls there and 370" is a possibility, with 300" being the norm. Long cross canyon shots are also the norm 600yds plus.
If you end up drawing this tag, get a hold of me and I'll give you some solid info. Sounds like its right up your alley.

Muleman,

I am in the same situation, I want to burn my 12 points this year. I am a resident and my choices are still pretty slim. You could draw 76 any season or 61 2nd or 3rd.

A 370 in 76 would be a tall order. That being said, with the warm weather that we have had the past 3 years the elk did not migrate until after the seasons were over. I believe that more bulls have had a chance to mature and 2017 could be a better your for finding 300+ bulls in 76. This would be a wilderness pack in hunt.

In 61 you would have a much better chance at a 370.

I am going to apply in one of these units this year.

SW desert late is a good tag with 370 being possible. I think you are a few years shy of drawing any of the earlier tags on that unit except archery. As with any late hunt the bulls could be broken, but they kill studs out there every year. I have seen some 370 class bulls out there in November.

))--SLIVER-->

Thanks Sliver, I'm not sure what I'm going to do?
KSTITZ, I'M looking at Utah not Colorado but I have 16 pts in Colorado & have looked at both the units you described.
Thanks

It seems the best units in Colorado fetch 20pts. or more. I guide on a ranch that has great bulls and requires about 18pts. but its ranching for wildlife so no chance for non-residents.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.