best long range elk gun

again for the money the 300 win in the Vanguard will shoot just as good and mabe better that the 300 weatherby.. in the same gun. ammo for the weatherby is 50 a box and 300 win is 25. they both shoot a 180 at 3000 fps.. and a 2000 at 2900. the old weatherby data is in a 26" bbl and the old win 300 was in a 24" bbl so in the same length bbl they are the same. except you burn more powder in the weatherby and have a bit moer recoil.

again for the money the 300 win in the Vanguard will shoot just as good and mabe better that the 300 weatherby.. in the same gun. ammo for the weatherby is 50 a box and 300 win is 25. they both shoot a 180 at 3000 fps.. and a 2000 at 2900. the old weatherby data is in a 26" bbl and the old win 300 was in a 24" bbl so in the same length bbl they are the same. except you burn more powder in the weatherby and have a bit moer recoil.
Au contraire, the Weatherby shoots 100 - 150 fps faster per bullet weight. This makes little difference on power, but does make a difference on trajectory.

Yes That's true, 300 Win is a great all Around Cartridge! So many Excellent 30 Mag choices ! They all are capable of taking Elk ! A shooter can pick the one that suits his or her ability to Deal With Recoil ! Speaking Only for myself the 300 RUM Or 30-378 Weatherby is too much for me to enjoy . The 300 Win or the 300 Weatherby can be loaded to levels Comfortable to Shoot or Levels Needed to take Game at fairly long Range ! I will not be shooting Elk at 800 to 1000 Yards !!!

THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL RIFLE!!

The 375 RBH and all its siblings
1DD6AAF4-7230-46B0-8D8C-5D162E841284.jpeg

my reloading manuals based on the different bbl length. thus the difference in velocities of the two. The 3oo weatherby up until 1962 was the best , but ol winchester just matched it for 1/2 the price. as a fact the 308 Norma is just as good as the two above, but winchester had to look like the weatherby..

Went to a gun show two years ago. Griffin and Howe had a beautiful rifle used rifle on display. Stunting Turkish Walnut , perfect metal work, Bluing , and Quarter Rib, with Express Sights. Scope and Mounts . It was chambered in the old .300 H and H . It begged to to go elk hunting. I would love to hunt such a majestic animal , with such an elegant rifle. I think it was $8000.00 . I think that old 30 Mag could be loaded to make a 180 Grn Bullet go 2900 to 3000 fps. That's 2200 Ft Lbs. at 400 yards and 1900 Lbs. at 500 yards. I think that is sufficient . What a thrill it would be to own and hunt with that Rifle. Lets see , what rifles can I sell to get close to that??? Hmmmm!!!

Lenny simply the 300 H&H will do anything all the new Magnums will do mabe a few fps slower but the grand bull will never know the difference and you will be happy.. I would use it in a heartbeat-- even a 30/06 is a great elk rifle.. my neighbor kills an elk every year with his 30/06 THERE

Lenny simply the 300 H&H will do anything all the new Magnums will do mabe a few fps slower but the grand bull will never know the difference and you will be happy.. I would use it in a heartbeat-- even a 30/06 is a great elk rifle.. my neighbor kills an elk every year with his 30/06 THERE

30-06 will not do what a 300RUM will. If by a few less FPS you mean 600? Then maybe.

Honestly there really is no one answer to your question, you see it is one that is in fact multifaceted.
Let me please qualify that last statement.
Many people will offer up there suggestions and opinions on this matter ,regarding which caliber is correct .
Let's examine it from your perspective and not someone elses.

Ask Yourself the following:

What are your expectations for a hunting rifle ?
(obviously as stated to be used in the harvesting of Elk sized game )
You will be humping this rig all day so make your choices wisely !!

In that light I pose these questions !

Do you want a fiberglass stock and stainless steel barrel with a muzzle brake for an all weather lightweight hunter ?
Stock comb length , and length of pull , ( does the stock meet your physical needs ?)
Perhaps a carbon fiber barrel , again for weight reduction ?
Is the rifle made in the USA or overseas ?
Choice of Scope and its magnification level., being conscious of the scopes clarity , features and functions .and the added weight with rings and an rail ! Which reticle do you prefer an M.O.A. or Mil Dot ?
What name brand is the scope ?
What sort of scope warranty is offered and not implied ?
Is ammunition readily available in stores or must it be special ordered. ?
For that matter can you purchase a back up magazine ( if required ) locally or must that too be special ordered?

IMHO some time spent at shooting ranges, and in gun stores allowing time to reach logical conclusions will go a long way towards improving your chances of getting the correct rifle , in the correct caliber .
Take the look , listen . and feel approach asking any questions that you deem appropriate.
( some indoor gun ranges do rent rifles and this may be anther avenue in helping you to determine which brand and caliber of rifle that will meet your criteria )
Another thought :
I
f someone at the range has a weapon in the caliber that you were thinking of buying then perhaps they may let you fire a few shots down range with it in order to determine if it is for you.
In this manner you indeed will fill all your needs based on your sound judgement, and not on the suggestions of others !

Best Of Luck !

Last edited:
We completely agree Mr. Montana West. I do like my Mark V in .300 Weatherby Mag, but I would also love to own that elegant rifle I held in 300 H and H . As I said earlier, I totally believe it has sufficient energy to take an elk, at moderate range. So this thread has taken us from the most modest of the 300 Mags, to those 30 Mags middle , to the newest most powerful of the 300 Mags. Its clear that if taking elk at 800 to 1000 yards is what you really want to do, there are Rifles Chambered in .300 Magnums that will certainly let you do that . If this thread turns into now taking elk at 1300 to 1500 yards, and the Barret's in 338 Lapua become the topic, I'm out. Gentlemen , take your pick, respect the game, shoot well, and enjoy the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.