Best lightweight rear shooting bag

My wife and I build custom bags with spex light fill it's a military/law enforcement bag frill I'd be happy to do something for you , our most popular bags weigh 21 oz for two bags made with 1000 denier courdura, veteran owned company made in Montana

Most people have several items in their pack that are somewhat "scrunchable". Lightweight packable rainjacket, spare pare of socks, 25 ft of paracord, heavy duty garbage as improvised ground cover, soft side 1st aid kit, rubber gloves etc.

I take those kind of items and put them in small dry bag and attach to the outside of my pack. If I can go prone, I simply unclip it and voila! a rear bag.

You effectively have a zero weight rear bag because you were carrying it anyway.

What do you guys run in the field?
I cut about, a 5 inch Strip of, 1/2 inch thick Foam rubber Pad and Roll it Tight, Duct tape it, closed, Cut a slightly Angled, V shape in it, for the rifles Toe.
Approx 3 1/2 to 4" in Diameter X 5" tall, when done and Weigh's, next to, Nothing ! I put, a Little Leather Shoe Lace thru it, ( a Loop ) in order to be able to Pull it, from one of My EXO Pack's, side Pockets. This thing Works WELL using either, my Harris Bipod to over, the stuffed Pack.
You ONLY NEED to Use it, for One, Shot "usually", in the Field and IT works,.. "Well" !
I also put, a circular Layer of Duct Tape on the Bottom so,.. it, slides a bit if, necessary !
PS ; Buy GOOD,. Duct Tape !

Last edited:
The Phoenix x-small is probably my favorite hunting bag. When I first got it I didn't really care for it (was bigger than I anticipated) but after using it in the field it quickly became my go-to. It weights 6oz and comes with buckles that latch directly on to many packs, and it's really versatile on height. CFE8BC59-F16E-4238-A416-F7A65B3F9724.jpeg