Best Dates and Outfitters for NW Wyoming Thorofare Region Elk Hunt

pmarquard300

Hello, I was looking for some guidance regarding a guided hunt I am planning with family members in 2022 to the Thorofare Region in NW Wyoming. I like Unit 60 but in case there is any other unit you recommend I would appreciate it.

I have not decided on the dates and what would be the best. Looking for a Rifle Elk only or Elk/Mule Deer Combo hunt. The dates are the following:
Elk Only: September 19-26 or September 28- October 5
Elk/Mule Deer Combo: October 7-14 or October 16-23
Regarding hunting experience and being able to harvest a decente Elk (300+) what would you recommend. Might be interested to add Mule Deer to take advantage of the trip as a plus.
Not sure if I should focus only on Elk only and hunt during the Rut (first Hunt) or Hunt the Last October hunt for migrating Elk and Deer. Or maybe any date in between.
I have also looked at the following outfitter in case anyone has hunted with them I would appreciate any comments or reviews:

- Hidden Creek Outfitter
- Butte Creek Outfitters
- Bliss Creek Outfitters
- Constant Quest Outfitters
- Ishawooa Outfitter

I will appreciate all your help and advise. Thank you.

I've hunted sheep and elk with Butte Creek. Top notch! But, be prepared for a long ride (horseback) into camp.

I've hunted sheep and elk with Butte Creek. Top notch! But, be prepared for a long ride (horseback) into camp.

Lineberger was convicted of several felonies back in the early 90's and spent time in prison for wildlife violations. He was also convicted a few years ago of illegal trapping. Last guy I'd ever hunt with.

Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters. I have hunted with them numerous times and never have been disappointed. Bill now has several camps in the region and all are top notch. Keep in mind, the Thorofare is a tough hunt and depending which camp you are assigned it can be a long ride in on horseback (9 hrs on a good day).

I like hunting the last week of the season, since the snow starts to push them towards migration. You can see plenty of elk and many deer.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thank you all for your reply and information.

Seems the either the first week or last week of the rifle season are the best.

I am afraid weather could be a big factor for success on the last week. Or will there still be a good chance at Elk even if there hasnt snowed?

There is a good chance the last week could be snowed out too. You have to go over 10k ft passes to get into the Thorofare drainage coming in from the Cody side or about 40 miles out the Jackson side. It happened last year in mid- October. That area is very Western and not for the fat or out of shape hunter. Furthermost roadless area in the lower 48.

Thank you all for your reply and information.

Seems the either the first week or last week of the rifle season are the best.

I am afraid weather could be a big factor for success on the last week. Or will there still be a good chance at Elk even if there hasnt snowed?
You can still encounter elk the last week without snow, but nothing like when the migration is going on. Like mentioned, it can be a REAL difficult hunt and travel in and out of the Thorofare is very scary. Not unusual to have horses or mules take falls on the icy and snowy trails. Keep in mind, this is the most remote area in the lower 48 states and emergency aid is at a minimal.

Now on the positive, it is the most classical western hunt you will ever take. Scenery and wildlife is beyond belief. Not unusual to see anything form Grizzlies, wolves, Eagles and the occasional mountain lion. If you have never done a hunt like this, then you should for a lifelong experience and memory.

Good luck!

Dustin Child, Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Check his website and reserve VERY early.

Broke his butt to get me a trophy Bighorn.

Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters. I have hunted with them numerous times and never have been disappointed. Bill now has several camps in the region and all are top notch. Keep in mind, the Thorofare is a tough hunt and depending which camp you are assigned it can be a long ride in on horseback (9 hrs on a good day).

I like hunting the last week of the season, since the snow starts to push them towards migration. You can see plenty of elk and many deer.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Rick I really appreciate your advise. I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. Which camp would you recommend out of the 4 for a rifle hunt?

2. Have you hunted the first week of rifle hunt as well as the last? What would be the Pros and Cons.
I like the first week due to the rut but I have heard the last week can be the best as the Elk start migrating. But I do not know if hunting the last week you also have the chance of not having enough weather for the migration to start or too much weather and then it can be even tough to hunt. I guess my question would be what would you recommend to try and harvest a 310+ bull. Also do you have high opportunities at a decent mule deer on the last hunt of the rifle season?

As always thank you for your time.

Rick I really appreciate your advise. I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. Which camp would you recommend out of the 4 for a rifle hunt?

2. Have you hunted the first week of rifle hunt as well as the last? What would be the Pros and Cons.
I like the first week due to the rut but I have heard the last week can be the best as the Elk start migrating. But I do not know if hunting the last week you also have the chance of not having enough weather for the migration to start or too much weather and then it can be even tough to hunt. I guess my question would be what would you recommend to try and harvest a 310+ bull. Also do you have high opportunities at a decent mule deer on the last hunt of the rifle season?

As always thank you for your time.
1. Teton for last week of rifle
2. Hidden Creek for 1st week
3. Lots of deer, but I have never seen a real big one.
4. Migration is always good for the chance at getting a big bull.

Shot this one the last week of the season during migration. 330ish.
image.jpeg

Good advice above. I've been lucky enough to hunt a lot of places and without question the Thorofare is One of the most special. Yellowstone outfitters and triangle X are top notch as well if some of the others don't work out.

Most good outfitters will be booked for 2022 already, and if you are a first time client, you probably won't get the best camp or week! I'm booking for 2024 right now and there are only a few spots left.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.